Chapter 41: More human interactions... yay...

Start from the beginning

...This just seems to be a normal restaurant... you muttered, not missing a single detail through the various angles from limited shadows in the well-lit diner.

Well yeah, Koun eye-rolls, floating next to the patch of darkness that you should have been standing in, I dunno how you thought it was anything but that. Catherine's clearly just some normal woman.

But... you protested, still adamant that she was some sort of psychic, I... I can't possibly be wrong... I'm super good at hiding my emotions and intentions, so how-

Maybe you said too much? the other shrugs, her interest gravitating toward the bar which was filled with an assertion of drinks.

Did you want something? you ask, noticing her eyeing the beverages, I could buy it for you.

Pfft, nah, she replies, a proud grin on her face, I'm too good for this kinda stuff. I've had better wines back in my day.

Saying nothing, you decided that you had gotten enough information from simply observing and decided to get a close-up on what they were doing. Stepping out of the shadows, you were greeted with a loud gasp and a surprised yelp. "What the-" a girl with long tawny-brown hair muttered, "Hey you! You can't be here! This place isn't for customers- And how'd you get in here anyway?!"

Giving her an annoyed glare, you ignored her and simply walked over to her stove, looking at the chicken breast that was sizzling away on a frying pan.

"Hey, kid!" the same girl exclaims as she placed a hand on your right shoulder, spinning you around to face her, "What the hell are you doing?! You can't just come in here and look at the food we're cooking! You're gonna contaminate it!"

"...It's going to burn," you reply, completely unfazed as you saw the other's face turn one-hundred-and eighty degrees.

"Crap-" she yelps, rushing over to the meat that was on the verge of becoming burnt before turning off the stove. Checking the dish to see that it was still edible, the female let out a sigh of relief before turning back to you. "Thanks for that, but who the heck are you? And where did you come from?! You just popped out of thin air, not wearing the uniform or an apron! Are you even working here?"

Gesturing to the plain cotton-white shirt with a neatly-done fine-point collar and jet-black jeans she was wearing under her syrup-coloured apron, the girl seemed extremely pleased with her outfit, showing it off with pride.

Not responding, you simply turn on your heel, ready to head back upstairs as you didn't want to interact with other people anymore, not after that exhausting exchange.

You spoke like three words, Koun deadpans, seeming unimpressed with your social skills.

Four, actually, you correct as you vaguely hear Catherine speaking to her staff members in the background.

Jeez, what an improvement... the spirit eyerolls, her tone dripping with sarcasm as she floats alongside you.

"Ah, (y/n), wait!" the familiar voice of the owner of the store calls out, making you stop mid-step.

Turning around to face her with an eyebrow raised, you wordlessly prompted her to say what she needed to say, only for her to beckon you over. Resisting the urge to roll your eyes, you walked back down the stairs and stand next to the woman, waiting for her to spew the words out so you could go back to trying to get your hands on her secrets.

"Everyone, this is (y/n)," Catherine beams, a hand hovering forward as if to pat your right shoulder but never actually touching you. "She saved me at the tea shop and so I decided to take her in, or at for a while." Either not noticing the suspicious looks from her employees or ignoring them, she turns to you with her ever-bright smile and nudges "Go on, introduce yourself."