Volume 2 - The Beginning of the End| 69: Sanctuary in mystic forest.

Start from the beginning

[Duck!]

Hearing Bakunawa's warning signal in my head. I hurriedly squatted my legs and lowered my head without question.

The arrow passed through like a gust of wind, hitting the ground.

[Be careful, this place may seem about to crumble down, but in fact, it still has active traps set randomly in every area, so watch your steps, mortal.] Bakunawa transmitted warningly.

I swallowed, feeling nervous as I nodded, so I started walking with more caution.

Deeper inside the ruins are faceless and broken statues. With cluttered broken stones and rusty weapons on the ground.

The dappled sunlight, filtering through the leaves of the trees barely lit the area, making the ambience appear a little dark and cold.

Bakunawa stopped in front of a faceless statue, then she glanced at me. [Come over here.]

"What is it?" I asked, standing beside Bakunawa as I looked at the faceless statue.

The statue is sculpted in the shape of a woman that sits on top of a carabao-shape like stone. The woman is holding an empty marble-basket in her hand, raising it a little low as if asking for something to be put on the basket.

[This place used to be Goddess Idianale's house of sect, the goddess of husbandry, agriculture, labor, and good deeds. She is the goddess who created the race of the sacred beast to guard the world from chaos, and she is the goddess that all sacred beasts worship.] Bakunawa transmitted, looking at the faceless statue with a proud face.

"I know her, I've read a little about Goddess Idianale in the books inside your body," I said.

[I see...anyway, there is a mechanism in these ruins. Some of the statues can lead you to a secret passage, and this one has a secret passage leading to a sanctuary for halfling and fallen sacred beasts.] Bakunawa explained.

"Fallen sacred beasts?"

[Sacred beasts who lost their divine energy because they consummated with other races.]

"Oh..."

[Well, put some bread or any food on the basket, so we could open the secret passage behind the statue.] Bakunawa gestured for the basket on the faceless woman statue.

I nodded, taking the bread inside the backpack, then I placed it on the basket.

Bakunawa placed her palms on both sides of the basket, then she closed her eyes, mumbling some gibberish incomprehensible words.

Afterwards, Bakunawa opened her eyes, taking a step back, then the marble-basket glowed, and the statue trembled moving as it slid down to the side.

Light from the lamps on both sides of the stone-wall lit up, showing a narrowed path of bottom stairs.

My eyes widened in awe. "What did you just do?" I asked, curious. "Did you pray to Goddess Idianale to open the passage?"

Bakunawa glanced at me amusedly. [What are you talking about? I didn't pray, mortal. I merely chanted the old ancient secret password of this ruin while using my own mana. What I recited just now is the old language called Baybayin, which means to spell in this modern language.]

"Huh?" I replied. "I'm confused."

Bakunawa chuckled. [Right, I forgot that you still don't know a lot of things about this world. Well, mortal, there are five major types of magic formation in this world. What I taught you so far is just the basic principles of what to look out for when you're using magic.]