Volume 1 - The Inception| 4: Shady business.

'Did she discover my secret?'

Doubts and suspicions slowly started spreading in my anxious heart; I felt uncomfortable by the intense stare of the inspector lady.

Grabbing the back of my neck, I stretched my lips to an uncomfortable smile as I awkwardly said, "miss, can you tell me the result of the mana crystal?"

The inspector lady's eyes widened in surprise as she gasped, "you don't even know what your mana affinities are?"

Seeing the surprised look on her face, I only gave the inspector lady an embarrassed smile as a response.

Since the mana crystal showed three colours earlier; I can't help but have suspicions in my heart despite knowing that the original Nasrin only has two attributes.

It was mentioned in the book that the villain only has two attributes; the villain used wind and earth magic to kill a lot of innocent people. So that left me clueless as to why the mana crystal showed three different kinds of colour.

I glance at the inspector lady to examine her expression. She had this complicated gaze like she was looking at some rare treasure. Her deep dark eyes were staring at me like she knew all the secrets I'm hiding.

"So you really don't know, huh?" The inspector lady said, walking around me in a circle, looking at me up and down.

I stretch my lips into an awkward smile feeling even more uncomfortable. With a wary gaze, I confronted the inspector lady. "Miss, like what I told you earlier, I'm a bit ignorant, so could you tell me..."

"Lass, are you being neglected or mistreated?" The inspector lady interjected.

Huh? I glanced at the inspector lady as she suddenly interrupted with a nonsense question.

Her eyes stared at me in pity and said, "don't worry lass, to tell you the truth; there's a recent study about dark attributes, and it was stated on the analysis report that," the inspector lady paused, smiling sadly at me.

My brows furrowed, looking baffled.

The inspector lady gazed at me in sympathy even more as she continued. "People only develop dark attributes after experiencing a very traumatic stressful event at such a young age, so you don't need to explain yourself, but..."

The inspector lady's dark eyes twinkled as she stared at me with a beaming smile, which made me take a step back seeing the enthusiastic expression on the inspector lady's face.

"I have personally taken an interest in you, you have three affinities," the inspector lady said.

I nodded warily, urging her to continue.

After that, the inspector lady raised three fingers then she continued, "although having three attributes is considered normal since some people even have more, but one of your three affinities is considered to be among of the rarest attributes that anyone could have, well you see..."

The inspector lady pointed at the transparent crystal ball then she continued, "the result of the mana crystal showed that you have affinities to earth, wind, and dark attributes, and among the three..."

"Dark attribute is one of the rarest attributes and only few people of the kingdom's population have this rare attribute, so I'd like to propose a deal with you," the inspector lady said, this time pointing at me.

I gulped, anticipating for the inspector lady to continue.

"As long as you agree to be my guinea," the inspector lady paused.

The inspector lady cleared her throat as if it would erase the fact that she meant to say guinea pig, but I didn't interrupt as I waited for the inspector lady to continue.

"I mean as long as you agree to be my, hmm..." the inspector lady paused again as she squinted her eyes at me then she continued, "well I guess you could become my personal assistant?" She asked unsurely.

Obviously, the inspector lady just wants me to become her personal assistant because of the rare attribute I have.

Right, speaking of attributes, I glance at the magic crystal that has now returned to its original form, which looks transparent and clear. The biggest doubt in my heart is why in the world do I have three affinities?

As far as I know, the original Nasrin Urduja only has two attributes, and the author stated that Nasrin was always jealous towards the protagonist because of the protagonist's mana attributes. It was mentioned in the book that Kendra has five attributes, and one of the five affinities was the most rare attribute, which is light attribute.

So if the original Nasrin has the dark attribute then why didn't she use it? If the villain had the dark attribute then according to the personality of the original Nasrin; she should have boasted about this attribute and used it in front of everyone, but she didn't.

Unless, the original Nasrin doesn't have the dark attribute in the first place. Which means that this body only got the dark attribute the moment I got transmigrated.

"Lass."

My body jolted in surprise when the inspector lady suddenly appeared in front of me like a ghost. With widened eyes, I weaved my brows together, gazing at the inspector lady.

The inspector lady clasped her palms together as she gave me a helpless smile.

"Lass I know that I seem suspicious for offering such a deal, but I assure you that I won't do anything that would harm you, and as long as you agree to become my guinea," the inspector lady paused as she flashed a business smile on her face.

The inspector lady then fixed her white knee-length coat then she continued with a gentle tone, "ahem, I mean if you agree to become my personal assistant, I will give you a passing grade on the entrance exam, and of course, I will also directly teach you everything I know, well, do you agree?" She added as she looked at me expectantly.

Looking at the inspector lady, I began to weigh the options in my heart. If I agree to this deal; I could enter the academy in a much more smooth and easy way, and I could also use her as a backer, but on the other hand, I feel like I'm voluntarily sending my soul to hell.

Just looking at the evil smile that was plastered on this woman's face; it made me feel like I'm not negotiating to a normal person but to a devil.

With a deep sigh, I pinch the bridge of my nose feeling a sudden headache from all these ridiculous things. I want to remind myself over and over again that this is what the new normal looks like now.

So with a twitching smile, I turn to look at her and said, "If I become your guinea," I blink as I remembered that personal assistant was front cover for being her personal guinea pig, so I cleared my throat and corrected, "personal assistant, if I become your personal assistant, does that mean I don't need to take the test for physical constitution or the combat skill?"

"Of course, like I said, I will give you a passing grade, so even if you don't take the remaining test, I will still mark you as a pass, well, as long as you agree with my conditions, so do you agree?" The inspector lady said, extending her hand to seal the deal.

I took a deep breath as I slowly moved my hand towards her, but I quickly took my hand back as I remembered something.