04| Birds of a Feather

"What are you doing tonight?" Jason's deep voice questioned through the phone

Ivy glanced over at the clock on the wall of the grille.

"Tonight? it's seven pm." Ivy's eyebrow scrunched up in confusion.

The girls had gone out for dinner after Veronica offered it as a wee treat. They were halfway through dessert when Ivy's phone buzzed continuously in her pocket, and she stepped away from the table to take the call.

She could sense the roll of his eyes in his voice. "You know what I mean. What are you doing for the rest of the night?" He wondered.

She looked up from the floor, at the table filled with her friends, who were chatting away. "Pretty much nothing. The girls and I are at the grille. Veronica and Melissa are here too." She notified. "I honestly have no idea why Veronica took us out. She's probably trying to make up for the fact that she's defending Garrett."

Ivy scoffed at Veronica's thoughts. "Like that's gonna excuse what she's doing."

The grin wiped off her face as quick as it had appeared.

Shit. She had frozen in her spot.

She had just blurted it out like it was nobody's business to the person who was brother to the girl who was killed. Jason had no clue about this new piece of information, and she had just accidentally blabbered it to him.

Ivy pinched her nose, extremely hopeful that he had somehow miraculously, not heard anything of what she had revealed.

There was a deafening silence on Jason's end, that Ivy had wondered if he had hung up.

But her concerns were answered when Jason whispered, "What?"

Rather than repeat what she said, - which would've been a smart idea - Ivy resulted in acting completely oblivious to everything: "What?" she chuckled slightly.

"What did you say?"

"I didn't say anything." She shook her head rapidly, - despite Jason not being able to see her.

Jason didn't believe her. He knew what she said, he just needed confirmation. "Did you just say that Veronica Hastings is defending Garrett, after he murdered my sister?!"

Caught out in the small lie, Ivy stumbled over her words, "I may have said that—"

"I can't believe her!" Jason cut in, and continued talking, - leaving no gaps for Ivy jump in, "You know what? I'm coming down there. Stay where you are. I'm two minutes away."

Ivy began to panic. He couldn't go there. Not when Veronica was here, and he without a doubt would go there just to yell at her in front of the entire restaurant. "Jason. No. Don't—"