18| A Kiss Before Lying

"Our friends are all hanging out without us."

Ivy lifted her head up from her book. "Really?" she asked. Hanna nodded. "I mean we shouldn't be annoyed they're hanging out. Maybe they're studying for a subject that we don't take." Ivy suggested.

"I'm fine with them hanging out, but they didn't need to lie about it. Spencer said she was hanging out with her family, then I heard Aria calling Emily." Hanna explained.

"Maybe they're doing something secretive." Ivy shrugged. Then she suddenly gasped. "Maybe they're planning a birthday party for you!"

Hanna glared at her. "My birthday is in like 5 months."

"Maybe they're planning it early." Ivy joked, standing up from her bed. "But really we shouldn't be annoyed at them. Plus we don't need them, we're better than them anyway." She draped an arm round her Hanna's shoulder, and led the two downstairs.

Ivy, Hanna and Ashley sat at the dinner table. Hanna was playing with her salad, and Ivy kept staring off into space.

Ashley broke the silence first, "So are your friends coming over?" She asked them.

"No, we told you. They're being annoying." Hanna replied.

Ashley looked between the two. "What does that mean?"

"Never mind. It's not a big deal." Ivy said, taking a sip of her drink.

Ashley put her fork down, annoyed at the two. "Okay, can we talk about the elephant in the room?"

"Kate is not an elephant, she's a snake, and she's going to our school. Mom, our life is completely ruined." Hanna exclaimed. Ivy nodded along, agreeing.

"It's not ruined. It's just gonna be an adjustment." Ashley reassured them.

"The only thing she's adjusting are her plans to take me down." Hanna said.

Ivy shook her head. "Us. She hates me too."

Ashley glanced between the two. "I spoke to your dad—"

"He ain't my dad." Ivy mumbled.

"—And he said - he made it clear to Kate that there'll be serious consequences if—" Ashley started, but got interrupted again.

Ivy scoffed. "You think she's gonna listen to him?" She asked rhetorically.

"Look, Hanna, Ivy...I'm not exactly looking forward to running into Isabel at the supermarket, but if we don't take the high road, we're gonna be the ones who end up looking like trash." Ashley stated. "So just promise me that you will both do everything you can to make Kate feel welcome tomorrow."

"Fine. We promise." Hanna said.

Ivy looked at her. "I didn't promise anything." She spoke, glancing back at Ashley, who gave her a stern look. "Okay...I promise."

○ ○ ○

"So, what'd you guys do last night?" Hanna asked Spencer, Emily and Aria, as they went along the lunch line.

Aria was the one who answered. "Oh, we studied for a chem test."

"We went to Spencer's for help." Emily added.

Ivy picked up a chocolate chip muffin, and an apple, and placed them on her tray.

"So today is doomsday, huh?" Spencer queried.

"Why? Did you see her?" Hanna asked, as Ivy looked around the room for any sign of Kate.

"Maybe Kate wants to star fresh." Emily suggested.