16| Let the Water Hold Me Down

It was after the incident with Hanna and Lucas in the boat, and the girls were in Spencer's house

It was after the incident with Hanna and Lucas in the boat, and the girls were in Spencer's house. Ivy stood on a chair, rummaging through Spencer's cupboards looking for some aspirin for Hanna. Her eyes finally locked on the tub, "Ah-ha!" She cheered in triumph.

She got down from the chair, grabbed a glass of water and sat down next to Hanna by the fire. "Here's some aspirin." She held out the pills and Hanna took them. "Want me to make you some soup?" She asked. "Thanks, but, I'm not hungry." Hanna shook her head.

Hanna took the pills and Ivy handed her the glass of water. As she was taking a sip, Spencer spoke up, "You want a blanket?" She asked. Hanna nodded and Spencer draped the blanket over her shoulders. Emily came into the room with Hanna's bag and handed it to her. "I think Caleb called, your phone was making noise." Emily told her.

"Han, I know that you might not be ready to talk about this, but the sheriff said that they're going to drag the lake first thing in the morning." Spencer said. "Lucas isn't in the lake." Ivy mumbled. The other girls glanced at each other. "He didn't come up to shore. We waited." Emily spoke. Hanna snapped her head to face Emily, "He knows how to swim, alright? He's out there somewhere. I can feel it." Hanna added.

"I still can't believe that Lucas would help 'A'." Aria admitted, "Why not? Jenna did the same thing with Caleb." Spencer responded. Hanna and Ivy stared blankly into the fire while the others talked around them. "'A' knows Lucas is close to Hanna and Ivy."

Aria went on to explain what she really meant, "No, I get it, I just don't really see Lucas as being that violent." Hanna and Ivy glanced at each other for a moment, then turned back towards the fire. "He can be. Lucas was the one who destroyed Alison's memorial." Hanna paused, glancing at Ivy again. "We found out the night Ivy got out of the hospital." She added.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Spencer questioned.

"We told him we would keep it a secret." Ivy answered. "Why?" The three girls were staring at the two with wide eyes, waiting for one of them to speak. "To protect him. He's been through a lot and Alison really tortured him." Ivy told, grabbing Hanna's hand in her own.

"Maybe it's time to start protecting you." Spencer said. Hanna shook her head, "I have a headache." She took the aspirin and reached into her bag to grab the bottle of water. Just as Hanna brought the bottle up to her mouth, Emily and Ivy noticed the murky water inside it.

"Hanna, don't drink that!" They shouted.

"That's lake water."

Hanna looked down at the bottle, "Too late." Ivy took the bottle from Hanna's hands, stood up and went to pour it down the sink. "How did that get in there?" Aria asked. Ivy walked back over as Emily started talking, "Her bag was outside in the car."

Aria looked round at the group, "All of us were in here." She spoke. "Yeah, well, Lucas wasn't. Maybe he just wants to finish what he started." Spencer responded. Hanna's phone rang, and Ivy looked over at the screen,