Song Fic: One Shot - Truth Is Pt.1

Alright, I was listening to this song the other day and it inspire this small AU one shot. If you haven't heard, Truth Is, before I linked it above. Give it a listen before reading, then read the Spelivia Short story. After reading, hit up to tell how well I paralleled the story to the lyrics. P.S This is not connected to previous chapters or the current show plotline. It's just a one-shot.

--------------

Three years Olivia spent avoiding Los Angeles, running away from a singular man. Two and half of those years she attended Bringston University, after transferring in the middle of her sophomore year at G.A.U. After graduating with a major in Media Communications and minoring in editorial photography, Olivia her last six months travel blogging while freelance writing.

At the beginning of her transfer to Atlanta, Liv lived in misery, reeling from a devastating breakup. She threw herself into her school work, evading any chance of returning to L.A. Desperate to ensure Liv's stability, her family spent the next two years flying into Atlanta for holidays and special occasions. Routinely checking in with her sobriety maintenance through weekly face time, her parents gave into Olivia's yearning for the distance between herself and a certain familiar young man.

Spencer James, former long-term boyfriend of Olivia Baker. Handsome, athletic, and gentle, Spencer had the world land at his feet. Drafted into the NFL before the end of his senior year of University, Spencer could've had any lady be wanted. The only problem was he already met the one woman for him, and she slipped through his fingers.

He and Olivia were best friends turned lovers. She was special to him, just as he was to him. Wherever he was, Liv was never too far, and vice-versa. Had anyone asked him, during his freshmen, year of University where he saw himself after college, he'd say playing professional football and married to the love of his life, Olivia Baker. Funny how life worked out.

Sophomore year threw them off track. From increased workloads to petty trivial fights that neither one could recall after their breakup. Things that never were a problem before suddenly became their biggest issues. Jealous streaks ran high on both ends over people that meant close to nothing to them.

Stress from outside forces was unintentionally backlashed upon one other. In the end, all the built-up tension led up to one huge fight where words that neither of them meant were spilled and they couldn't be taken back.

The breakup was severe for them both. Not because they'd lost their lovers, but because they'd lost their best friend. And by the time the dust settled, and Spencer was ready to fight for Olivia, she was already gone.

"I'm sorry, Spence." He recalled Layla's delicate voice. "Olivia asked for space over the weekend. When Coop and I came home most of her stuff was gone."

The rest of the conversation went deaf to his ears. Spencer later learned from Jordan that Olivia put in for a late transfer to attend Bringston with Simone.

"She just needs some time away from here." Jordan tried to ease his friend's pain, also at a loss for how to handle Olivia's abrupt departure.

"Away from me, you mean." Spencer spewed coldly, unable to bare it.

He knew Olivia in and out. Whenever things were too hard for her to face, her default was to steer clear. So he knew that if she was taking their breakup as bad as he was, she wouldn't be home anytime soon. And she'd a piece of his home with her.

Three years Olivia spent running away from Spencer. All that avoidance seemed ineffective when Olivia laid her eyes on Spencer in the living room of the Baker family home. He'd changed physically since she last saw him up close.

His muscular frame enlarged, thanks to his daily diet and workout regimen. Spencer once baby stubble heightened hair grew out to a well-groomed cut. Accompanying his new cut was also a finely lined goat-T centered around his chiseled face. He was even more handsome than Olivia remembered.

And despite their history, and the way she left things with him, he smiled at her

And despite their history, and the way she left things with him, he smiled at her. Not a little 'just play nice' expression either. No, she knew this smile. This was the smile she use to receive after he'd endured a tough day of football practice, repetitive classes and any carried the weight of the world on his shoulder. A smile that said that he missed her and conveyed how happy she made him despite any of his day of troubles. A smile that was usually followed by a sensual kiss that left her breathless and feeling like the luckiest girl in the world.

But that was years ago, today this smile was followed by a backbreaking hug from jer twin and a tight squeeze for her mom before they both warmly welcomed her home. Standing at a good distance between herself and the sofa, Spencer finally spoke.

"Welcome home, Liv."

Just three words and Olivia's walls melted, replacing her uncertain smile with a bright grin. "Thanks, Spencer."

"C'mon, Liv. Miss James spent the three hours in the kitchen and I'm ready to eat. You and Dad took three million years to get here from the airport. Got a guy starving for life." Jordan mused, dragging his sister along.

"Boy shut up." Liv heard Simone's voice from the dining room, as they hit the corner.

"Liv!" Simone cheered, swallowing her best friend into an embrace. "Girl thank God you're here. Your brother has been driving me up the walls."

Olivia chuckled as they pulled apart. "Yet, here we are. Celebrating you marrying my insane twin for the third time." Olivia lively joked.

"Cuz she loves my insane as-" Jordan chimed as the real adults entered the room.

"Watch that mouth before I starve that mouth." Grace James' voice boomed as she entered the dining room, cobbler in hand.

"My bad miss James." Jordan laughed.

Grace shook her head at the boy she thought of as a third son, before facing a now nervous Olivia.

"Hi, Miss Grace." Liv greeted lightly, unsure how the older woman would receive her shared history with Spencer.

"That's it?" Grace inquired. "No hug?"

Olivia glanced between her twin and close friend before circling the table to greet Grace again.

"It's good to see you, Miss Grace," Liv added as they hugged.

"I'm glad you're home, Olivia," Grace responded honestly. "Your family missed you."

Sealing her eyes shut, Liv sighed with relief, holding Grace closer. "I missed everyone too." She murmured gratefully, pulling away from Grace before smiling. "...I missed your cooking too."

Grace laughed, "Good." She gestured for the young folks to sit down as her son brought the last food addition to the table before sitting next to Olivia.

He sent her a small smile as his hand grabbed her own for the first time in years. Both of them inhaled and join gazes as Grace spoke for the entire table.

"Who's saying Grace?"

(A/N: This turned out longer than planned. See y'all in part two.)