Chapter 68 - Hooded Figure

Skylar

I gasp, trying to step back, but unable due to Dmitri's massive frame blocking me and his arm around my waist. I can't believe what I am seeing. This isn't a dream. He is real. The hooded figure from my dream is standing in front of me. I don't know how I know, but they are the same person. Shadows cover his face making it hard to see his features. He is tall. Not as tall as Dmitri, but still around 5'8" or 5'9". And he is muscular. I can tell from the way the cloak sits on him. A palpable energy is coming off him that makes me want to hold my hand out and see if I can physically touch it. I don't do that, though. Instead, I just stand there, almost mesmerized.

"I'll give you one warning only. Don't come any closer if you value your life," Dmitri growls out, the reverberation against my back sending shivers down my spine. "You are trespassing here, and this woman is under my protection. I don't take kindly to intruders."

The hooded figure remains standing exactly where he is, the only sign of life being the tiny movements of his shoulder and chest from breathing. His arm moves slowly up, causing Dmitri to stiffen even more, his hold on my waist now almost painful. Dmitri is ready to pounce. The figure turns his arm so his palm faces upwards, reminding me of my dream where he almost beckons me to take his hand. Except, instead of an empty palm, a rolled-up scroll is lying across it.

"It's time, Skylar." The voice is soft and deep. Very manly, nearly sensual. It is almost familiar, but not at the same time.

"How do you know my name?" I ask, panic filling me. How does this man know me?

"What are you talking about, Skylar?" Dmitri whispers to me.

"Didn't you hear him? He said, 'It's time, Skylar'?" I whisper back.

"No, I didn't hear him, and I have super hearing." I can hear the anger in Dmitri's voice. He clearly doesn't like the fact that he cannot hear what is being said.

We briefly took our eyes off the figure during that exchange, and he was gone just like that. Dmitri releases me so quickly I barely see him move. He stands in the place where the mysterious man was standing. He is peering around. The next thing I know, there is a guard with him. He obviously notified someone using that weird mind-linking thing he sometimes does. He started issuing instructions, but I zoned out when I realized I was holding something in my right hand.

Lifting my hand, I see it is the scroll the hooded figure was holding.

"Dmitri," I say, not looking at him, my eyes on the scroll in my hand. How did it even get there? What if he was that close to me, and I didn't even know it?

He is in front of me in a blink. "How do you have that?" he asks, taking the scroll from me.

"I don't know. I was just standing here, and then when you left, it was in my hand." I think I'm in shock.

"Let's go inside. Ivan and Kira will be here shortly. We must understand how he bypassed our security and Raina's protection spell." Dmitri puts his arm around me as he leads me inside.

He sits me on the couch before he locks all the doors behind us.

"Are you okay, Skylar?" He is standing in front of me, but I don't bother looking up. I am suddenly exhausted. After tonight, everything that has happened between Dmitri and me, and now this, it's a lot. This whole year has been too much.

Dmitri gets down on his knees in front of me, cupping my face in his hands, bringing it up so we look at each other.

"It's going to be okay. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. You're not alone. So don't worry, okay." His thumb wipes the tear falling down my cheek that I can't hold in. His words hit a spot inside me that just overwhelms me. He kisses me softly, catching me off guard.

He pulls away, but I lean forward, hands on his broad shoulders, kissing him more deeply. His hand moves to the back of my neck, his other one circling my back, pulling me forward so that I sit on his thighs, straddling him. His hand moves so it is cupping my rear, and from that position on the floor, he gets up as if I am light as a feather. My legs circle his waist, our lips locked in a kiss that is fast leaving me breathless. I break the kiss, taking a deep breath as I look into his eyes. Eyes dark with passion. And another emotion. Caring. He is looking at me almost like he used to before Savannah.

He kisses me again, our lips taking their time, re-acquainting themselves. He has a faint taste of mint from the toothpaste and then another flavor that is just his. Just like the scent that is unique to him, that is wrapping itself around me. He pulls my tongue into his mouth, the sucking causing an unconscious moan to escape. He lightly nips my bottom lip before releasing my mouth and kissing along my jawline. His tongue follows a trail along my neck, sucking, kissing, and licking the area so that I am sure tomorrow I will have bruises caused by something other than ones caused mysteriously.

His mouth hovers at a place just above my collarbone as he nips the sensitive area. My head falls to the side as I let the feelings wash over me. It's not just sexual excitement. I missed Dmitri. And from the way we have been since we met again, I could never have imagined us being in this position again. Being close to one another. It's another level of ecstasy.

Fuck, I want him so badly. "Dmitri," I breathe out. At the same time, loud banging on the front door echoes through the room. Not one muscle on my body moves. My heart is racing not just from what has preceded this moment but also from shock and fear.

Dmitri seems unfazed as he continues kissing a trail along my neck until he gets to my ear.

"Don't worry. It's just Ivan and Kira." I release a breath I was holding, remembering he mentioned just a while ago that they would be coming over.

"If it weren't for your safety, they would be dead now for interrupting," he says quietly, giving me a small kiss before he lowers me to the ground.

"You want to freshen up? I'll make us all coffee." He pinches my cheeks adoringly and gives me a big smile before moving to the front door. I hurry to my room before Ivan and Kira can see me.

Fifteen minutes later, I am dressed in slacks and a top, sitting at the dining room table with a sheepish-looking Ivan and Kira. They must know what we were doing. Dmitri's scent is lingering all over me. The shower barely had an impact. Coupled with the blush I cannot seem to get rid of. Yip, I look guilty. While Dmitri is sitting across from me, looking at ease and unfazed. 

"So, what does the scroll say?"

Please don't forget to comment and vote!