chapter forty-eight

Beginne am Anfang

"How are you doing?" He said after a long moment of silence.

"I'm good," I smiled.

"I mean, how are you really doing? This," he motioned to everything around us before gesturing t the space between us, "Can't be easy for you. All these changes and sudden revelations must be hard on you." My smile faltered a bit.

"It is a lot, but it's not too bad."

"You know, you could always talk to me if you need anything?" He asked, and I nodded.  He seemed to want to press on the matter more but decided against it. He waited a few seconds before speaking again.

"I have to talk to you about the real reason I wanted to meet with you today," I nodded slowly, a knot forming in my stomach at his sudden seriousness.

"It's partly about what Carlo said earlier," I nodded again as I tried not to think about his cruel words.

"He was out of line earlier and spoke to you in a way he should never have. I talked with him earlier, and I can promise you that you will never be treated like that again."

"Okay."

"You might not know this, but my sons are actually twins, although they don't look much alike. It's not only their looks that are different but so are their personalities. From a young age, I trained both of them and taught them everything they needed to know to become the next ruler of Nelovia. Because they were the same age, I decided to wait until they were grown to see who would better fit the position. Since then, Carlo and Lorino have worked hard to prove to me that they were worthy of the crown," he explained, and I nodded.

"What does it have to do with me?"

"Well... The thing is that your sudden appearance complicates things a little because although you are not the Queen's daughter, you are mine. You are also a year older than them, which makes you their eldest sibling. That being said, according to the Nelovia code, the eldest of the family is the one to become the next ruler, which would be..." he looked at me with excitement while I looked at him in pure horror.

"Me?" He sent me a nod as his smile became brighter.

"I know you will make a great Queen. I know I haven't known you for long, but I saw enough to know you are a good person. You are kind and compassionate, and I know you will treat your subject with respect and love. You have all these qualities that assure me you will fit the position perfectly."

"No," I whispered under my breath.

"No?" He repeated, shocked. He narrowed his eyes slightly.

"I-I...c-can't," I said louder, my hands grasping Akira harder. He sensed my panic immediately as he rose to his feet and stood between my legs in a protective stance.

"Emriana, I'm truly sorry to put you in this situation, but this isn't up to your decision," he said, and I shook my head as my breathing became ragged.

"N-No," I repeated once more, and his frown deepened. He ran a hand through his hair as he looked at me with despair.

"No isn't a response when you are royalty. You have to fulfill your duty," I shook my head harder this time, tears threatening to spill out of my eyes. I couldn't believe he was putting me in this position after everything he had told me about my mother.

"I-I'm not r-royalty."

"Yes, you are. It is in your blood."

"I-It might be in my blood, but it d-doesn't mean t-this is what I a-am. I don't know a-anything a-about your world, and I d-don't belong in it," I tried to speak clearly, but the emotions betrayed me.