49| Lies and Traitors

She screamed as loud as she could, but no one heard her. As she opened her eyes, she found herself in a place so different from the places that she had encountered before. From there, the snow fell gently towards her head, and the visibility was clearer.

In front of her eyes appeared the ruins of the fallen kingdom in Mhydrille. A place that she never expected that she could find.

"So this is Mhydrille," she gasped as her eyes wandered around the area. "I thought this was just a myth!"

Her eyes were filled with awe. She could hear her mother's voice whispering in her ears as she remembered the time that she told her about the city of Mhydrille.

"Hello?" she spoke. Hoping that someone might help her friends escape their situation back at the cave, she continued to seek any creature around the area.

"Is anyone here?" she asked. "My friends and I need help!"

Hearing no reply, she was just about to head back when she noticed the weather between the small hill where she slipped and from where she was standing. Back there was a terrible storm but around the city was a gentle snowy weather.

How is this happening? Cithara thought.

Little did she know that around her came eyes that were focused towards her every move. It was the eyes of those who didn't want her any more near their territory.

As she stepped in front of the bewitched lake, her gaze was caught by the icy trees leading towards a structure. The trees had white barks covering their trunks and branches, and their leaves were ice crystals with a circle shape that glimmered as a little amount of light passed through them.

"The castle of Mhydrille was rebuilt," she spoke. "Now it's just waiting for its new ruler."

With her attention focused on the snowscape, she didn't realize the danger lurking among the shadows of the ruins.

Strange scratching sounds were heard all around her all of a sudden, together with shadowy figures going from left to right and vice versa.

"Who's there?" she asked. Knowing that she left her bow back at the castle, the tension she was feeling rose.

"Seriously?! What's the point of having my weapon if almost every time something happens to me, it's missing?" she murmured.

All of a sudden, stones were seen flying towards her. Thinking quickly and not wanting to hurt herself, Cithara tried to dodge the attacks as best as she could.

"Whoever's out there, show yourself! I'm not here for a fight!" she shouted.

After what she had spoken, the attacks were paused, and for just a few moments later, something hovering in the air swooped unto her ears.

"What?" she gasped, unable to identify what entered her ear. As she tried to check it by touching it gently, she noticed that the scene she was seeing around her was changing.

From where she was standing appeared people wearing their winter outfits, cheering for someone. The dead-quiet town was suddenly spilled with happiness and cheers.

Between the icy trees came a path being marched on by two individuals.

"Mhydrille's having a new ruler? How is this happening?" she asked. "I must stop this before they make any more chaos in Enchantria!"

Cithara huddled towards the crowd just to see who the new ruler was. "Excuse me."

Every time she reached a better view, she still could not see who the ruler was until she was blocked by the guards in the area, including the other supporters. All that she could see was Varelor as the two sat down on the throne. The second one beside him appeared to be blurry.

"The former emperor!" she exclaimed.

"I am delighted to tell all of you, my fellow Elves, that I have a new successor – a new ruler that will surely give rise to Everdaile's eternal glory once more!" Varelor announced.

Everyone let out a loud and cheerful cheer.

"You will not get away from this, whoever you are. The Avallons will stop you and make that new successor's ruling short like yours!" Cithara spoke.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present you your new leader," Varelor added, "Cithara Aberra!"

At the moment she heard her name, Cithara saw the face of Varelor's successor clearer that moment. And there she was, standing beside Varelor and in front of the crowd.

"How did I come here?" she asked herself in a worried voice. "N-No, this can't be happening!"

For just a few seconds, everything changed again. That time, she was standing in the middle of dead bodies, and the whole place surrounding her was covered with darkness. It was just like what she saw on her nightmares.

"I thought you well, my prodigy," Varelor whispered in her ears.

"No! No, this can't be true!" she screamed at the top of her lungs, her heart crying for help.

All of a sudden, she felt herself being slipped towards the abyss. As she looked around, she was back at the place where she entered. Once again, she slipped on an icy substance on the ground.

From that moment, she realized that in front of her flew a pixie. She knew that it was a mischievous creature that could show a person his greatest fears through illusions.

At the time that she knew what happened, she was filled with chaotic emotions that she could not fully understand. She remained still until she felt something touch her shoulder.

"Cithara!" She heard someone call.

Turning her head around slightly, she saw Rei standing right beside her, touching her shoulder with his shivering hands.

"Rei? I-Is that you?" she asked with her mind shuffled by the illusions.

"This is me," replied Rei, "Why?"

"Oh! Thank goodness you are here!" Cithara sighed in relief.

"I couldn't help thinking about you, and that is why I followed you," Rei explained.

"Where are the others?" asked Cithara.

"The others are already safe," replied Rei.

"Safe? How?"

"The search and rescue of this empire came, and now they are back towards the castle safe and sound," Rei stated.

"Thank goodness," Cithara sighed.

"Now come one! Let's head back there!" Rei spoke in a gentleman's voice.

The two headed back to the castle. However, every time they passed a new spot, Cithara just felt a strange feeling.

"Come on, Cithara! We must hurry before the blizzard comes again," Rei spoke with his hand holding Cithara's arm tightly.

"Rei, what do you think about the new Avallon warriors?" she asked.

"The new Avallon warriors are the best! I love every single one of the members!" Rei replied. "Now come on!"

Cithara paused. "You're not Rei!" she exclaimed, snatching her hand away from the person grabbing her.