48| Taken

"So, what are we going to do?" Wil asked, trying to brush away the embarrassment that he did just a few moments ago.

"What we need is that cave over there. With that, we can make our fire without the snowflakes hitting it," Rei advised as he walked towards them from a distance.

"Is he with you?" Wil asked Cithara with the yearning to keep his secret.

"I just got here. I heard that you don't know what to do. That was why I came after finding that cave I'm telling you," Rei answered.

"Well, you say so," Wil replied.

"And on second thought, we'll still need those branches to make the fire," Cithara notified.

The news spread like wildfire. Finally, they all gathered inside the small cave.

"How did you know that there's a cave over here? And why didn't you say so earlier?" Sefira asked the quiet Rei.

"I saw this cave while we were heading here, and I... I just remembered it when I saw Wil and Cithara going towards this area," Rei replied.

"I can say that we are indeed helping," Wil jested.

"What do we do now except for admiring my handsome look?" Rei asked.

"Excuse me?" Marivielle groaned.

For just a quick moment, the snow began to fall towards the ground, hitting it harder and harder every time. The scenery outside was blurred with their small fire, the only thing giving them warmth.

"I guess we have to just continue making the fire live," Hanari suggested.

"We should head there and save the others!" Sefira spoke.

The small room was suddenly filled with overlapping questions coming from the lips of the six of them arguing.

"Stop!" Rei interrupted, pushing his body up toward the ground. "I think we might just need to pick a leader!"

"Of course!" Hanari agreed.

"To make it fair, let's do a vote. Agreed?" Sefira asked.

"Well, Sefira is a pretty good leader," said Wil. "I would like to nominate her."

"Cithara's amazing as well," Marivielle spoke.

"Yeah, but she can be a little too kind most of the time," Sefira whispered.

Even though she tried to ignore what she had just heard, the feeling of darts being shot towards her heart was still felt.

"Who wants to vote for Sefira?" Rei asked.

Two hands had been raised, and those were owned by Sefira and Wil.

"For Cithara?" Rei added.

At last, the majority had spoken. Cithara was now the new leader of the temporary Avallon warriors. However, with those remaining four hands, Cithara didn't raise. The fear of taking too much responsibility still bothered her.

"M- Me? A- A leader of the Avallons?" she asked out of shock.

"The majority had spoken, Cithara," Rei explained. "Even though you didn't raise your hand, Luv, it's still counted as a vote for yourself."

"But, me? I..."

"It's okay, Cithara. We're all here to guide you," Wil spoke.

"Wil's right," Marivielle added.

Cithara sighed. She knew that she had no other choice.

"What do we do now?" Hanari asked.

"The thing is it's too dangerous for any of us to go out there," Cithara replied.

"Then who's idea is to let us stay here?" Marivielle asked in an innuendo.

Rei, unable to defend his suggestion at that moment, just embraced his folded legs with his arms and let the conversation pass by. A sense of guilt was spilled on his face, trying to keep it a secret in the darkness of the cave.

"I see Rei's point. We don't have to blame him," said Sefira.

"I agree. Besides, the best thing we can do is to keep ourselves warm and safe and don't blame anyone," Cithara added.

"The good thing is that I brought a lot of sticks and tree branches here," Wil spoke.

"How long do you think the blizzard will last?" Hanari asked.

"Well, I guess we'll need to stay here until morning. Let's just hope that everything will be alright and that no avalanche or cave slide will happen," replied Cithara.

"I guess I'll just lie down here," Marivielle spoke. "I sure hope someone brought something to eat."

Time passed by, and still, they were stranded in the middle of a blizzard. They knew that the sticks and branches would soon run out, and the weather began to drop down every hour. To find help, someone had to go out there.

With most of them peacefully lying down on the ground with the leisurely fading fire, Cithara knew what to do. She raised herself from the cold, hard ground and walked towards the small opening of the cave.

Her shadow was seen by Rei, who was at his deep thinking.

"Where are you going?" he whispered.

"I'll seek help. I'm afraid that we can not withstand this weather with a little amount of supply," Cithara whispered back, not longing to capture any more attention.

"I'm the one who should go," said Rei. "I'm the one who dragged us into this mess."

"What do you mean?" she asked. "I am the one who told them to stay because it was too late to come back to the palace."

"But I am the one who dragged you towards this place," he insisted. "If only I didn't see this meadow! Now, I should go!"

"All of my life, I leave in a cold place, and during winter, the temperature drops to near freezing," Cithara explained. "I guess I should go out there and seek for anyone to help us."

"I'll go with you," Rei volunteered.

"You're much safer here. Especially that you are a Mortal," replied Cithara. "Stay here and keep warm with the others."

Rei paused, looking at his outfit. Among them all, he has the worst clothes ever. Being unprepared for the winter of the Immortal Realm, he might be the one who would need more help.

"Alright, good luck!" he spoke. "But if you don't come back, can I be the leader?" he added, his voice starting to shiver.

"Okay, I guess," Cithara jested with a smile on her face.

"Go there now before the weather gets worse!" Rei notified, his emotions suddenly turning strange.

Cithara took her last glimpse of her friends before stepping towards the unknown.

"Wish me luck!" she whispered to herself.

The cold wind blew towards her as if it was  trying to push her back. The visibility was still blurry, but she knew she had to go on.

As she was heading northward, she came across a road filled with deep snow and no trees. Taking a step straight with no turning back, she accidentally slipped on a slippery substance, making her slide hard toward the ground.

"Help!!!"