14 | An Unexpected Journey

And so began the quest for the soon-to-be Emperor of the kingdom of the Elves. With the spherical magic crystal in his hand, he went off towards where the crystals were leading him carrying himself alone and some necessities for the road.

The northern lands of Enchantria were filled with shades of orange and brown due to the fallen leaves of autumn. Soon enough, everything would change to white and blue, with the winter season coming to bring snow and ice towards the North.

The sun was nearly at its peak, showing its warmth and shine to the creatures below it.

"The ancestors said that I have to find the other chosen ones but they didn't tell me how many they are and," he spoke just after leaving the castle, "I don't even know how to use this crystal ball."

He looked at the ball curiously. All that he saw was the land where he was standing, like a plain map with a red dot on it. As he took a step forward, the red dot moved, showing off how many trees and landmarks he could see around him and the nearest river near the city. All were shown for at least three kilometers from a radius.

"I hope this is not a bad decision," he spoke, shaking the ball to see any changes.

"Do you have a problem, You're Majesty?" he heard a familiar voice asked, coming from behind him.

His eyes widened as he immediately shoved the crystal sphere back towards his leather sling bag.

"Uh, no. I'm... I'm alright," Wil replied, trying to hide away his fear with his smile.

"Before you leave, I just want you to have this," Alvier spoke, showing a sharp rapier to Wil. "You'll need this in your journey."

"Alvier, I..."

"Journeying in the Immortal Realm is unclear, but with the demons around, it might be dangerous for you. It's the least of what I can give you," Alvier insisted, stretching both of his hands towards the future Emperor until he took the weapon.

"Alright," he answered, taking the rapier from the old man.

Wil looked at his new weapon with awe, his mind unaware of what he could do with it.

"And just in case the way turned dark, you can use this night crystal to light up your way," Elron, the leader of the Elder Committee, added, giving a small lantern to Wil. Inside of it was an octahedron-shaped white crystal that glows up in the dark and which type can rarely be found in the mines of the whole Immortal Realm.

"Graxien," Wil answered, taking the lantern with him as well.

"Is there anything else we can do for you before you go?" asked Alvier.

"No, this is... this is enough," he answered timidly.

As soon as he got everything fixed up, he knew it was the cue for him to go – a cue for him to go away from the land where he was born and where he had ever been.

"It's time for me to go now," he spoke as he took a step away from the two. "Please take good care of Sepphora while I'm gone."

Alvier and Elron both answered him with a nod and a radiant smile. "Take care, my lad," Elron whispered as the two of them watched Wil walk away until he completely disappeared from their sight.

As his journey began, the sense that eyes were staring and watching him from afar bothered his troubled mind. All that he can remember was his past self living peacefully with a simple family, but with the turn of the times, the thought that he would be a cynosure someday didn't ever enter his mind.

"Bien neo (Good luck)!" the Sepphorians beamed as they watched their future ruler march away.

For others, it was a friendly greeting, but for him, it felt different. It felt like fake smiles surrounded him, followed by the people throwing big obligations that he was afraid that he couldn't handle soon enough.

A short time later, Wil was on the main road towards the other elven cities, feeling confused and alone. The streets were packed with elves doing their daily habits. Several elves gathered around the market to buy their everyday needs, and the kids were playing around the streets, letting out laughter and smiles.

Everyone else seemed to be having fun, Wil thought gloomily. He had set off for a perilous journey for his kingdom, but he just wished he was back to his simple life.

"There's our future Emperor!" the people spoke cheerfully.

"I'm certain that he could find the new guardians just in time," one of the elderly elves said. "His father journeyed across Enchantria for just a few meales and defeated several enemies!"

Some of the kids stopped what they were doing and came to him with smiles on their faces. "Bien neo, You're Highness!" they spoke.

"I'm so afraid when I found out the news that the portal towards the Spirit Realm was opened but," one of the kids uttered, "when I found out that you're off to save Enchantria, you gave me hope."

Wil looked startled, and his heart began to melt slowly. He was a little terrified about the journey, but somehow, he smiled at them.

The people of the busy city of Sepphora watched him with hopes in their hearts as he walked away toward the other kingdom.

Serebia is the nearest town, Wil thought. Maybe I can go there first.

"I guess I'll just take the long road by walk-" he spoke, interrupted by the scene of the forest of Sepphora.

He took his spare map from his bag and found out that it might be a shortcut to Serebia. For a minute he was stuck on choosing what way he should go – towards the peaceful main road but he'll have to walk for several days or towards the mysteries of the Sepphorian forest which, by his estimation, will only take two to three hours.

After a while, he found himself moving towards the forest with his eyes fixed on the map.

Well, here goes, Wil thought with resignation. Might as well make the best of it.

•○GLOSSARY○•

⚔️Bien Neo!
- Elven word: Good luck!

⚔️Graxien
- Elven word: Thank you

⚔️Meales
- Enchantrian word: Months