25 | The Noteworthy Voyage

Rei coughed out of the water as he stumbled out of the ocean and onto the sandy beach. He panted, shaking slightly as he looked at the other crew members coughing and gagging as they walked and trudged out of the sea.

His legs were weak from all the pressure and fear held in his body back on the ship, which miraculously survived with minor destruction.

As they came towards the place, it seemed that time came by faster than they could ever remember. It was just night when they set sail, but when they reached their assumed destination, it was already day.

"Rei!" his friends called to him as they ran beside him.

"W-Where's Monti?" he asked, his voice sounding bothered.

"He's... He's not here," Daniil answered after looking around the area.

Water dripped down his hair and onto his face, resting in the scruff across his mouth and cheeks.

I hope he's alright, he thought with high hopes inside his heart.

"Come on, everyone. Let's pick up the pace," Wren spoke, leading the crew.

They walked onto the beach, pausing right beside Mister Lynn, who was scanning the area with his eyes.

Rei took a step closer to the man as he looked along the beach as well. "What is this place?" he asked, his wet hair dripping.

"We finally made it," Severilo called out from behind, looking ahead at the land right before the crew.

"Does it matter?" Wren asked, from behind Severilo's shoulder. "We're stuck here, and we don't know how to get out."

"You don't have to worry, Stefan. Luck is on our side. Besides, we still have our ship," Severilo replied. "We should find some supplies to fix it, then our voyage will once again continue."

And so the journey resumed. Some of the crew went back to their ship while the others remained on the shore to look around.

"Captain!" Rei called to Severilo as he rushed towards him. "Where are we? What is this place? Did we finally reach our destination?" he asked, his mind still filled with queries.

Captain Severilo consulted his chart with a high expectancy that he did it. On the chart came a map of the mortal realm. However, as he let the light of the sun pass through it, another map appeared – a map of vast lands where no one of them had ever seen.

"We're indeed here, me boy," he replied. "All of ye, stay sharp."

"Captain!" a crewman called out from a boat going ashore. "Captain, some of the crew are missing," he reported.

"Montgomery," Rei heard him whisper worriedly.

"Rei, have ye seen, me son? He's just with ye a while ago," he added.

"We've been separated since we fell down the abyss, Captain," Rei replied sadly.

"This is what I was talking you about, Markus," Mister Lynn reminded. "I told you something like this could happen if we continue."

Captain Severino let out a sigh, trying to hide his sadness from the crew.

"What's your orders, Captain?" Wren asked. "We just caught something special for you back at the ship," he added, being one of the crews who came ashore through the boat just a few moments ago.

The captain immediately went back to his ship, filled with excitement. Rei wasn't needed there, but he, too, was curious about what that special thing could be.

As they entered the uppermost deck, they were greeted by some of the crew gathering around something. When they saw the captain approaching, they made a way for him, making him see a young maiden.

Rei found her having delicate facial features, a slim, perfectly-shaped hourglass body, and long, wavy black hair with blue tips.

"This here is a real booty," he heard the crew whisper to each other with a grin on their faces.

"She's a beauty, ain't she?"

"One of the most beautiful lasses I've ever seen."

They seemed to be complimenting her beauty. However, with the crew's strange desire showing on their faces, Rei was sure she was not safe around them.

"We found her swimming gracefully below the ship, and it seems like she must be searching for something," Wren stated.

"And not just that," added Mr Lynn, "she's also a mermaid, Cap'n!"

"Ah!" said the captain. "Lads, take your hands off the lady."

"But, Captain," they argued.

Severilo gave them a stare that made his crew obey him. "Forgive me for the manners of my crew, me lady," Captain Severilo consoled.

"What creature are you, and what is the name of the kingdom where you came from?" she asked in his sweet, soothing voice.

"Such an elegant woman!" a crew member shouted, grinning. "That's -"

"Shush!" the captain exclaimed to him. "Treat her as a guest of our ship. She will be our key in finding our treasure," he added, whispering.

"Forgive me again, me lady," said Severilo. "Now, what was your question again?"

The woman looked at them from head to toe with a serious mood on her face.

"Your materials here are astonishing! I have a feeling that you are not from our kingdom," she spoke.

Severilo looked at his crew, whose gazes were still fixed on the lady. "Uh, y-yes!" he answered with a smile on his face. "We came from... another kingdom. We came here to... uh... see the beauty of this land."

"Oh!" replied the lady. "So you want me to show you around?"

"Aye! Aye, we would love to," replied Captain Severilo.

"You speak different... but... alright, I would show you to my kingdom," the lass spoke.

"That would be amazing!" the crew beamed from behind them.

"In one condition," the young lady notified, cutting off their celebration.

"What is it, me lady?" Severilo asked.

"You'll need to offer me something in return," she replied. "Say, you'll set me free?"

"We got an accord," Severilo answered.

"Fine then! We still need to swim towards the other island. However, we will be needing more time because I bet you can't swim as fast as I do," said the young maiden.

"You don't have to worry about tiring yourself, me lady. This vessel can take us towards your island, and all you have to do is lead the way," Mister Lynn stated.

"Ili dure (Amazing)! You are magnificent creatures!" the young lady replied, having no idea of what she was doing.

•○GLOSSARY○•

⚔️Ili dure!
- Aquarian word: Amazing!