Chapter 41

Malakai's POV
Colton walked away.

"Do your parents know you're here."

"Yeah. They do. I'm good."

"They're not mad?"

"No."

Her face has so many small cuts.

"It's all my fault. I-I'm the reason we were in the car."

"No. Baby don't."

I kissed her forehead.

"Your cousin mentioned you being stressed about school? We graduated a few weeks ago."

"I-I know. I-I lied. She obviously saw through it."

"Why'd you lie?"

"I was scared I guess. I didn't know how, anyone would be if I told them I thought I was pregnant. I-I was more worried about your reaction though. I-I didn't want you to get mad."

"Damn. I thought you know me."

"I-I do. I-I was just worried."

"Oh uh...I have something to tell you. I-I can't keep it from you."

"D-did you-"

"No. No never. Your mom was here."

Her eyes widened.

"Huh?!"

"Before you panic...she asked about you."

"Please don't tell me....you're buying into whatever trick she's pulling."

"You think...she's trying to trick me?"

"She asked who you are right?"

"Yeah. She seemed happy."

A tear slid down Anastasia's face.

"I'm gonna lose you."

"Huh?! What?!"

"She's gonna turn you against me. I just know it. That's what she does. That's what Eliza Guevara does. She always chases people away."

"You're not gonna lose me."

"I don't want to."

"Stop. You're not gonna lose me. She's not gonna get in between us. I won't let her."

"You don't understand. She acts all sweet and lovely but...she's not. S-she's cold a-and heartless."

"Baby what does that mean?"

"I don't like talking about it. Every time I've Sadie's something, nobody's believed me."

"I-I'll believe you."

"You promise?"

"Yes."

"One night...my dad caught her cheating with his brother. So with my uncle. She sweet talked him into convincing him to give her another chance. He started drinking. She started doing drugs. CPS got called on us so many times. Me and Colt called so many times. She always changed when she wanted something. She convinced us that...she'd get clean if we stayed quiet. And we believed her."

"You were kids. You didn't know."

"She was sleeping with all these guys...my dad didn't know about any of them. If she wants something, she cons her way into getting it. She doesn't care who she hurts. She doesn't care about burning any bridges. When my brother turned 18...they gave up parental rights and just...left. My mom convinced him to leave us. Since she knows about us then...she's gonna try to ruin us. Ever since that one night...she despises happiness."

"I'm not leaving. I'm gonna fight for us. Okay? She's not gonna ruin anything."

"S-she's gonna make me get rid of the babies. P-please don't let her!"

"You're 18. You don't have to listen to what she says anymore."

"But...she's my mom."

"I know. I got it. But...she hasn't been there for you when, you needed her. Colt's been there."

"I know."

"You need to let that shit go Anastasia." A voice said.

I looked at the doorway. Her mom was walking in.

"Uh you should go. She clearly doesn't want to see you."

"All it takes is...one sentence. I can say it then you won't be allowed back."

"Mom stop!"

Anastasia's nurse walked in.

"Ma'am? You don't have permission to be here."

"But I'm her mother."

"Her brother made it very clear that, you're not allowed in here. I heard what you said to them just now."

"But he's not family!"

"Her brother told us, he can be here. He gave us a list of who is allowed to be here."

"This is bullshit!"

"Ma'am if you're not going to leave, I'm going to have to call security."

Eliza crossed her arms.

"Looks like, you're calling. I'm not leaving. I'm her mother."

"Mom just go! I don't want to see you!"

"This is all your brother's fault!"

She walked up to the hospital bed. I started guarding it.

"Don't think about it."

She pushed me out of the way. She started punching Anastasia.

"HEY! STOP!"

Anastasia was screaming. Her nurse ran in and wrapped her arms around Eliza's waist. I jumped onto the hospital bed and started shielding Anastasia.

"You're okay. You're okay. I'm right here."

I heard people running in. I heard Eliza screaming.

"LET ME GO! GET THE FUCK OFF ME!"

Anastasia was hyperventilating. I cupped her face.

"It's okay. Relax. She's gone. She won't be back."