Chapter 28

No one's POV:

Taehyung shivered as he felt a gust of foul wind brush against his brown locks and kiss the apples of his cheeks.

Hell, a place normally depicted to be a fiery expanse with little light was anything but hot.

No, the realm was as cold as ice once you reached the edges and it was filled with agonised screams of those sent to suffer in the River of Styx.

The black and murky water came into view as Taehyung marched on forward, slightly shielded by the warmth of his lover's hand placed on the small of his back.

The cries gradually got louder to the point of ear-piercing intensity. The wails of immense pain and terror made the Angel's breathing slightly laboured.

Suddenly, Taehyung understood the fiery depictions and Jeongguk muttered something in an ancient dialect.

"Rex tuus venit. Incendant
ignes. Bonos absconde; tenebrae possideant." The Devil murmured as his eyes glowed in all of their red, bloody glory. 

The ground rumbled and gallons of fire burst out from the cracks that surrounded the endless depths of water.

Taehyung stood shocked at what had happened, now, he felt far from cold. The ignition of the red and orange flames made Taehyung's skin tingle.

Jeongguk however, seemed unfazed at what had happened. A low chuckle pushed through his lips as he saw his Angel's gawking expression.

"Close your mouth, you look like a fish Tae. I only summoned the fires so I can contain the dead souls." Jeongguk explained in an amused tone.

The Angel had never seen something so breathtaking, he couldn't help but stare at the ominous man next to him.

His mate truly was a burning enigma. Nothing that Taehyung had ever seen could compare to the handsome Devil.

Jeongguk's dark orbs contained so much, both the love and the hate. The anger and the calmness. The fear and the bravery.

For someone who had lost so much in all of his years there were seemingly no words to describe him. Hence Taehyung liked to use the word enigma.

The paradox that was the king of Hell.

Taehyung knew one side but many knew the other. The Angel knows the man next to him is dangerous but somehow that never bothered him.

Maybe it was the bond or maybe it was the sheer fascination?

Jeongguk isn't just the Devil, he is still a man- Taehyung saw that in him when no one else could.

The fear over what he had just witnessed dissipated as Jeongguk slid his hand into Taehyung's and griped it tightly.

"You don't have to stay if you don't want to but I figured that if you are going to be here from now on then you should see what I am capable of. I do this about every two or three days to settle down the souls and keep them contained so they face their punishment." Jeongguk explained as he nudged Taehyung to continue walking with him.

"It's scary but it's cool. I wanted to see what your job as a king is so don't apologise. I was startled, that's all." His mate replied as he focused on the kindling flames in front of him.

The Devil continued walking until they neared the edge of the water. The king moved Taehyung back slightly, so that he was out of the way.

However, Jeongguk didn't see the soul of a man reaching his hand out of the midnight black water edging forward towards the Angel's foot.