Q-Word

I enter the store, thankful to have air conditioning. So hot... Taki sighs and wanders off to the back without a word. He doesn't seem angry or anything, just tired. I clock in and get ready for the day, stocking a cartful of items and cleaning some shelves.

After an hour, I return to the front and wait for customers.

No one comes in.

I furrow my brows and wonder if it'd be a good time to start up a cleaning project. However, the store already looks clean, unless I want to get on my hands and knees with a toothbrush. I decide to casually walk the store, facing items, but there doesn't seem to be much to face. I end up at the front again and sigh.

Maybe he wasn't tired, just bored.

I prop my elbows up and stare emptily out the front.

A potential customer comes by and I smile, preparing the line and my most welcoming pose

A potential customer comes by and I smile, preparing the line and my most welcoming pose. But... they walk right past the door without even glancing inside.

My shoulders slouch in disappointment and I check the clock. 11:33. It's only been an hour and a half?

I inwardly groan and lean against the counter again.

There's literally nothing to do right now.

After exchanging glances with the clock over the span of thirty minutes, I reluctantly pull out my phone. The rush should've started by now. I should be okay. I text a few friends, get no responses, and decide against better judgment to play an active game on my phone. Wish I could pause...

I stop watching the clock and get into the game, starting up a mission with a group of people. I just barely get through the first set of caves when I sense a presence next to me. I glance over, see Taki, return to my game, and register a minute later that it's my boss.

I turn off the phone and quickly slide it into my pocket, frantically facing him. "I-I-I'm sorry! I didn't, uh—"

I've never been caught on my phone just goofing off before and wonder if I should even bother trying to justify it. I know it's wrong.

My shoulders slouch down and I prepare to get into serious trouble for it.

Taki stares at me, thoughtful, then pulls out his phone and sits behind the counter so customers can't see him. "Let me know if someone comes in."

I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.

Glancing over my shoulder, I turn back to him. "Isn't there something you want me to do?"

"Did you want something to clean?" He responds without looking away from his phone.

I lower my head, sheepishly searching for something easy, but there's nothing. "Honestly?"