Fallout

I walk into work... with my mom.

Taki smiles and greets us as though we were any other customers. "Welcome to Convenience! Whom do I have the pleasure of meeting today?"

Mom frowns. "His mother. I'll be here to pick him up right at 5 tonight." She curtly barks at him.

His smile becomes slightly more apologetic. "Actually, I was going to change his hours this week. You see, we've been getting busy later in the evenings, so I was hoping to extend his hours to 6:45 and give him an hour lunch instead of the 45min one. I'm sorry, but would that be okay? He mentioned when I first gave him his hours that he was willing to adjust them if needed, as long as it was only on Saturdays."

I nervously glance up at Mom, thankful she's actually here because there's no way she'd believe me after what I pulled last week.

"That's fine." Mom glares down at me. "I'll be here at 6:45pm sharp, you understand?"

I furiously nod.

"Good. Have a good day." Her tone is cold and agitated, but even she couldn't think of a reason for me to quit my job. Besides not coming home afterwards, she still appreciates the pressure it takes off of her financially.

With my head down low, I go and grab an apron before clocking in.

Before heading to his usual place, Taki bends over and whispers in my ear

Before heading to his usual place, Taki bends over and whispers in my ear. "I lied."

I step back. "Wha?"

"But if she finds out I lied, you're fired. And it's probably not going to be my choice." Taki's lips form a tight line.

It takes me a second to understand what he just did. "Wait, so you don't need me to stay 'til 6:45?"

He shakes his head. "You're a good kid, and one of my best workers despite your age. I trust that you didn't get into too much trouble last week despite your mother's reaction." He lets out a long sigh. "I understand tiger moms. I was lucky it never got that bad for me though. I mean, that big a deal over hair?" He shakes his head again, heading towards the back. "Kind of nervous about when you decide to finally cut it. Anyway, seriously, if she finds out, we're both in trouble."

I stare after, touched by his kindness.

A smile creeps across my face. Why do I feel happy that people support my rebelliousness?

I remember to check the coffees this time and figure I'll start paying Taki back for his kindness by catching those thieves in action. It looks like two need to be stocked and I make a mental note to check for those guys and to keep count of how many people buy canned coffee until then. I think they like to come in when it's busy though.

I get into my usual routine of walking the store and stocking items. In one of the aisles though, I notice something on the ground. I approach the small dark spot on the tile and bend down to analyze it.