Haircut

*Ding-a-ling*

"Hey, welcome in, Nagisa." Haruhi shows off her effortlessly glorious smile.

I sink into myself.

She loses the smile. "What's wrong?"

I go to the register and clock in. "Well..." I fiddle around with the card instead of putting it away.

She seems to catch on and smiles again. "Yeah, I didn't do as well as I thought I would on the midterms either." She snaps her fingers and frowns. "Guess I won't be the top score this time. That just means I'll have to study twice as hard for the next one."

I appreciate her trying to cheer me up, but I can't help but sink even further into myself. If I don't make the top twenty though...

"Hey, don't worry about it." She gently places a hand on my shoulder. "Besides, maybe you did better than you think you did. Won't know until next week when they grade the tests, right?"

I slowly stop fiddling with the card and slide it into my back pocket. "Right." I nod, forcing a smile, but not too much in case she catches on. "Maybe it was just as hard for everyone else too."

She narrows her eyes at me, but lets it go. "I mean, it was certainly hard for me. We're definitely not in middle school anymore, are we?" She lightly laughs and heads out to the floor.

When I'm sure she can't see me, I let the frown settle in once more.

No matter how hard I try with work, I just don't have my usual grace with it. It seems so much harder today, even with Haruhi here. It's not like it changed though, so it's probably just me.

After the lunch rush, I clean up the area behind me and fumble a few items. Don't ask me how, but I break one of my hair ties in the process. I absently reach for the extras on my wrists when I remember that I take them off for work so as not to mess with the uniform. My shoulders slump down and I pull out the other one, freeing the rest of my hair.

I stare at it while contemplating pulling it back into a ponytail like I used to. For some reason, I never get to it though.

Maybe I should just get used to having long hair forever

"Hey." Haruhi approaches the counter and I quickly hide the hair tie behind me and force that smile again, like everything's okay.

"H-Hey!"

She blankly stares at me for a quiet moment. "What happened to your hair?"

I frown and pull out the hair tie. Then I pull back my hair and make a ponytail. "I broke a hair tie and don't have an extra." I grumble.

She silently watches, making me feel awkward.

"Um, I mean... I doubt you or Taki would have any." I awkwardly mumble to fill the silence.