Bittersweet

*Ding-a-ling*

"Hey, Nagi—" Haruhi stops herself upon seeing my face.

I grunt and march behind the counter to clock in. Stupid guilt trip...

She waits an appropriate amount of time before speaking

She waits an appropriate amount of time before speaking. "Hair looks nice. Suits you."

I let out a long sigh and turn to her, needing to vent. "I didn't do that bad! I ended up ranking way better than I thought, but no, it's not enough. I worked my ass off for that rank and now Mom's moping around any time I'm near her and it's so annoying and it makes me feel like crap and—ugh!" I throw my hands up in the air, giving up and thankful to be at work where I can't hear her constant whimpering any time she sees my hair.

"Oh, so you made the top twenty? Congratulations!" She diverts.

I pause, take a breath, and slump my shoulders a bit. "Actually, I was twenty-one. But seriously, I thought I did way worse."

"Hm." She brings a finger to her chin. "Well, you certainly seem proud."

"Totally, I earned it!" I stop and blush, covering my mouth. Did I seriously just say that out loud?

She laughs. "You definitely seem a lot more comfortable in your own skin with that haircut."

The blush fades and I glance over at her. I guess that's true.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you," she gently drops her fist into the palm of her hand, "today's the last day I'll be working with you. I meant to say something about it last week, but I didn't want to impose. You already seemed like you were going through a lot at the time."

My face falls. "You're leaving? Why?"

"Well, Taki wanted to cut my hours because it usually slows down in the middle of July, which was fine because I wanted to take a few weeks to do this other job out of town over the summer anyway, but then I didn't do as well as I would've liked on my midterms." She chuckles halfheartedly. "So I decided that I needed this time to study rather than work. Can't let my grades suffer too much since I have a scholarship to keep up. I'd hate to lose it."

I lower my head. "I understand."

She smiles. "Hey, don't worry, I'll visit. Besides, the tuna they sell here is pretty good for a decent price. And I might come back later for seasonal work, depending on how my grades are or how much I need the money. I'm sure we'll see each other again."

I frown, wishing I had more time and that she didn't need to leave. Then another thought occurs to me. Does that mean Taki has to interview people again? I feel like he just did that.

The day is fairly busy and goes much faster than I'd like. I can't help but think about Haruhi leaving. It just seems way too soon for that.

Around three o'clock after both of us have taken our lunch breaks, we get some interesting guests.