Chapter 38: A heart-to-heart chat

Start from the beginning

"R-right!" the girl beams, and with that, you turn to leave when-

"W-wait, (y/n)!" she exclaims, making you pause in your tracks and turn around to face her, "Let's go out someday, not as a date, of course, I would never force you on a date unless you wanted to go, that is, and if that's the case, then-" Stopping herself from blabbering on and on, the female cleared her throat and looked you dead in the eyes, asking "L-let's go out somewhere sometime soon, okay?"

"Sure," you answer, "Your suggestion is rather vague though. Where would you like to go and when?"

"W-well..." she begins, looking down at the floorboards again as if they had the answer, "Let's decide when the time's right, 'kay?"

"Alright," you gently smile, subtly wondering how someone as confident around others as Nya could suddenly become so shy around you. Maybe it was because you seemed too cold? Or too mean? ...Or perhaps it was because you weren't the same as everyone else? You know that now. Before, you thought you were just like other humans, fragile little things that are made of paper-thin glass. But now... you realised you're different. You have escaped Death's grasp multiple times and is about as emotional as a rock. At least glass looks beautiful and pure. Rocks... not so much. Perhaps that was why the others didn't feel as comfortable around you-

"Promise?" Nya asks, her voice cutting through your thoughts like glass breaking on the cold rocky ground, "Promise that you won't leave until we've at least gone out?"

"...You knew?" you raised an eyebrow as you briefly considered the possibility of Zane telling the others, but you cross that out. There was no way he would do that. He was too nice and naive at times, probably too much for his own good. Besides, you hadn't bothered trying to conceal your intention of leaving and Nya was in no way dumb, so it wasn't that big of a surprise that she would figure it out. Even if she hadn't found it out by herself, Lloyd also knew that you were going to leave one day, so he may have told the others himself.

"Well, you didn't really try to hide it so..." the girl murmured, trailing off before looking you in the eyes again. "A-anyway, do you promise?"

"You wouldn't let me leave even if I didn't," you reply, giving her an indifferent shrug, "So I suppose I do. I promise that I won't leave until we've gone out together to somewhere somewhen."

Giving you a relieved smile, she waved goodbye before rushing down the hall to your shared bedroom, presumably to do some more tinkering. Letting out a sigh, you continued heading to Master Wu's study, hoping to be able to put his book back without drawing his attention.

Sliding the door open silently, you were just about to step inside when the sound of someone clearing their throat nearly made you leap into the air with surprise.

"What are you doing here, (y/n)?" the old man asked, his eyes already showing that he knew the answer.

"...I read over your texts and came to put it back," you answer, holding it out for him to see.

Letting out a hum of acknowledgement, the male walked into his room, motioning for you to follow. Trailing after him, you closed the door behind you, taking the time to put the book back on the shelf before taking a seat opposite him on a cushion.

Watching as Master Wu pulled out his teapot from god-knows-where before pouring some tea into two cups, you found yourself wondering why he needed to speak to you. Were you in trouble? Or had he found a lead on where your teacher was? ...Or was it because he too realised that you were going to leave?

"You must be wondering why I've led you in here," the old man finally pipes up after a long sip of his drink, pushing the other teal-coloured cup toward you.