Chapter Thirty-Six

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter Thirty-Six: Happiness In Time Of War

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩• ̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙

J U L Y 1979

"Bloody Egypt!" Sirius grumbled, his arms tightly crossed over his chest as he sat at his work desk.

James was absentmindedly playing with his wand, spinning it around between his slender fingers as he listened to his best friend complain about Romina going to Egypt.

"Padfoot, relax. It's not like she's never coming home. Her training is just in Egypt, right?" James finally responded to Sirius' complaints.

"Not a clue, mate." Sirius sighed, "I mean, I bloody opened myself up to her. We made it official, I think anyway, and now she's just...going to be gone all the time?" Sirius wasn't sure how it would work. He did not have any experience with a long distance relationship. It had just begun and he was worried if they didn't get to spend time with one another, they would crash and burn sooner rather than later.

"This is what happens now that we're grown up, Sirius. All that matters is that at the end of the day, she is yours and vice versa. As long as you both know where you stand, I think that's all that matters." James shrugged, "Look at me and Lils. She's so busy with her own training, just like we are with ours. But we make time when we can. Of course I think it'll be different once I finally pop the question."

James finally set his wand down, finished with fiddling with it to keep himself occupied. He fished into his pocket and pulled out a crumpled up piece of what used to be an article in the daily prophet. "I found this article about new shops in Hogsmeade. There's this jeweler... apparently been in business for a long time just never in Hogsmeade." He slid the paper to Sirius and grinned, "I'm going to check it out this weekend. I think... I..." he trailed off and sucked in a deep breath, "I kind of just want to get it over with."

"Nervous she's going to say no?" Sirius glanced down at the parchment with a slight smile, the feeling that his best friends might be getting married soon helping him feel lighter in the dark that clouded them with the usual talk of war.

"Honestly?" James sighed, "Yes." His lips turned down into a frown at the thought of losing Lily. But he didn't have much time to dwell on that since Moody rushed forward to grip them both up by their collars, barking orders at them to get up off their arses and get to work.

⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧⁺˚*•✩• ̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙

Everything in her body felt like it she had been dipped into a fiery pit. She wasn't sure where one ache started and another began. She was not used to moving her body the way she did that very first day of training. The rest of the week was just as bad. She had a total of six hours to get home - back to Sirius' flat actually - grab something to eat, shower, and sleep.