(Mostly) Long Headcannons

Florida is 5"4. He's also Double Jointed

Humans besides some government officials don't know the states exist and most who see them just assume their a theater group, cosplay, role-players, or a group of online friends from across the US who don't actually know each others names.

The State House isn't actually a reality like TV show, it's a experiment to see how the states interact and how their different then people. Only Gov knows about that but some states are slowly finding out...

California, Oregon, and Washington have a StardewValley farm they play on wich Florida joined after he annoyed them enough. He hates Pierre and hates Joja. He likes Sebastian though because of the frogs. He likes frogs. California is trying to become roommates with Krobus. Washington and Oregon are married in game.
They play the game during meetings sometimes and start yelling if someone blows up the crops or sells their favorite cow, Patty. It confuses everyone and Gov takes away their switches. Don't worry though, the four with the help of Kansas and Louisiana steal them back, steal all the other states phones and put them in Gov's room, and sets an alarm on each phone back to back to back as revenge. Everyone wakes up to see their phones are gone, their alarms going off in Gov's room, and are pissed.

Gov definitely isn't a murderer

WHO TAUGHT THE SOUTH HOW TO USE TECHNOLOGY????
It started off as California teaching Florida how social media works so he could look at cute reptile picture and so he could create a account on Tiktok so he could stop sending the photoes to the statehouse chat.
Then Florida was sending sheep videos to the Southern chat and Virginia and South Carolina asked him how it worked and he taught them. From there it spread to all the south and now they all won't stop spamming cute farm animal (reptiles in Floridas case) to the State House chat.

In my headcannon the languages states know depend on what percent of their population speaks it. They also know the language the country they where originally part of mainly spoke.
So imagine half way through a meeting New York, Texas, New Mexico, California, Navada, West Verginia, and more just swapping to speaking Spanish half way though a meeting, Louisiana swapping to French, Alaska with Russian, etc, and Gov just sits there so confused not knowing any besides English and some Spanish, no one wanting to translate for him. He would be so confused and eventually just ends the meeting early.
After that Gov does his best to learn more language so something like that doesn't happen again, especially with the risk of if a state needs help and he couldn't communicate with them.

Florida, DC, Massachusetts, and Nevada have been building a rocket in the woods near the state house at night when they can sneak off. They want to be the first states on the moon! It originally started as a joke from Florida to Nevada about Area 51, then Massachusetts heard and brought DC into it and with the help of MIT students and NASA interns they have snuck off their almost half way done with the ship. Florida is going to be the one in the rocket when it goes off, being the one who started it all and most able to go into space. No one knows about the plan besides those four, Alaska and Hawaii. Alaska knows because they used his garage to move tools. As long as they drop supplies off so he doesn't have to leave he lets them pass by. Hawaii knows because those two are best friends and he keeps her updated about what happens in the state house.