[Chapter 15] - Storm on the Horizon

☽ ✧ ☾

A week after the incident during the Underground Auction, the communities went silent. There were few casualties within the communities, but the vast number of losses resided within the Hunter Association. All the licensed hunters hired as guards were killed silently while all the auctioneers were enjoying the small talk and complimentary refreshers.

The reason for crashing the auction was the items.

The Hunter Association was secretive and kept their panic under the radar. It wasn't a great loss to them, but it impacted their numbers.

In recent years, the pool of Hunter applicants was declining, along with their potential, which some believe was due to growing corruption. The acting chairman, Isaac Netero, was a selfish man at heart. He did not corrupt his association, rather he placed someone in power who would. A man named Pariston Hill.

Many Hunters wondered if the next acting chairman's seat would be filled by him, or if perhaps it would be Netero's student who took his place. The fate of the Hunter Association was left in the future's hands.

While the Hunter Association was dealing with their recent loss, other organizations' power began to wain. With the head of the Norreti Family being accounted in the casualties, the group quickly began falling apart. Many members left while others fought over the position of leader. It was a fast and quiet demise.

Meanwhile, friction between the organizations started to appear. Most were trying to regain their stream of income after the loss of the Carrier (Togari), fighting over the chain of power and land. Disputes were inevitable. The shadows of the Yorknew City community began preparing. The wind had begun to blow, and the sparks of ruin were beginning to catch.

Most people couldn't help but wonder, just who crashed the auction? Was this their goal?

☽ ✧ ☾

The crumbling structure was tall and reached up toward the starry sky. Through the holes and fissures in the walls, moonlight filtered through. The group's feet were covered in rubble and debris from the half-collapsed building. It was an unsteady, dusty structure.

With the items for auction stolen under the cover of the night, the culprits gathered; a missing member in their ranks.

In the building, the Phantom Troupe stood restless.

"We can't be bothered –"

"Phinks is dead Feitan," Uvogin yelled at the short, detached man.

A scowl plastered on Feitan's face, he scoffed at the brazen man. His ridged stance was one most people feared, and his long dark clothes concealed his toned core.

"Yes, but we can't be bothered to take revenge," Fetain stated, "remember new members have killed a previous member to join the ranks. This isn't different."

"You have to be stupid if you think that'll stop me," he retorted.

A woman shuffled in her seat, "but why would we take revenge?" the woman dressed in tight-fitting clothes asked. Her clumsy appearance with her short dishevelled midnight hair and slanted glasses, made the woman look as if she wandered into the wrong place.

Uvogin stepped in front of Feitan, his shorter counterpart, "some bastard killed Phinks," he seethed.

The woman, Shizuku, looked up to the ceiling, "oh," she pondered, "I was wondering where he was."

"Are you saying you were unaware this entire time?" Feitan asked.

"It's Phinks. I thought he was being reckless again," she said.