[Chapter 10] - Mukatolini's Lithograph

☽ ✧ ☾

A contact lens case and a glass of whiskey rested atop the wooden desk.

The Ten Dons, heads of the Mafia, each of whom controlled a territory, had sent out security plans and protocols to the mafia leaders of each group attending the Yorknew Underground Auction. It was a classified piece of information sent out for management of personal security. Only a select few knew of the documents – only a few held the physical copies.

Kurapika shuffled the security layout maps that were scattered on his desk, pulling them together in a neat pile. This job was tiring. He pulled open one of the many desk drawers, placing the stack of paper gently into a hidden compartment. His mind being hazy, he failed to click the compartment closed. He pushed the drawer closed and returned to writing notes in a small black notebook.

The moonlight shone through the office window, illuminating the dark space. He used the light to write down logs and transactions from the days he was absent.

He felt his eyes become heavy as he continued to push his body past his limits. His tiring black eyes scanned the documents as he wrote in the notebook. It had been hours since Basho and the rest of the group left the mansion. Kurapika had remained behind to catch up on preparations that were falling behind schedule.

The office was completely silent, rid of any sounds besides the scratching of his pen against the paper and his soft breaths. This only helped in lulling him further into sleepiness. The stiflingly quiet atmosphere was strange.

After parting ways with his close friends, Kurapika had spent most of his time alone, and the silence was prevalent. Though, recently, he had gotten so used to the voice of the girl who was always by his side. So much so that now that she wasn't beside him, he felt there was something missing.

Kurapika didn't notice, but the pen slowly slipped from his hand and onto the page. With his pen went the strength in his arms. He gently laid them folded on his desk. He continued to let his mind wander to trivial thoughts as he slowly started to fall asleep. His eyes couldn't be kept open, and he gave up his struggle against sleep, letting them close.

Only for a moment, he told himself, wanting to continue his work.

Kurapika laid his head on his arms, his face pointed towards the window. He could slightly see the glow of light through his eyelids. He smiled as the moonlight shone down on his face.

I'll do it tomorrow, he thought, quietly yawning.

Kurapika wouldn't be continuing his work that night. He quietly drifted off into a peaceful slumber. His hair rested softly against his face, his bangs lightly resting on his nose.

As the blond slept silently, his phone lit up – a notification appeared on the screen. He was too taken by sleep and missed a message from Y/n.

The sound of the city was unable to reach the blonde's office, so all that was heard was the soft sounds of him breathing. Everything was silent, but him.

Though – things will never stay silent for long.

A silent creaking noise stabbed through the silence, disrupting the gentle peace.

The door slowly opened as someone stepped inside. A small figure slowly entered through the door. Their footsteps were inaudible as they made their way to the desk. The girl's skin was pale as it danced in the moonlight.

"What an awful noise," the girl spoke softly.

☽ ✧ ☾