[Chapter 8] - The Bull Market

***

Time flew by on the plane ride back to Yorknew City and by the time they touched down Y/n and Kurapika were well into gear. Kurapika offered to let her drop her stuff off at his place, now that they were back in the city. She agreed and they took a quick stop at his apartment to get rid of their bags.

The taxi dropped them off at the front doors of his apartment building. The partners stepped out and made their way into the building, taking the elevator up to his floor. Kurapika pushed open the door to reveal the familiar sight of his apartment. They had had many difficult conversations and mental matches held in this space, but hopefully, they would become partners on better terms. Friends.

Y/n moved in quickly to her favourite spot in his apartment, throwing her bag down on the couch and falling beside it. She let out a relaxed breath, "I hate airplane seats," she complained.

Kurapika gave her a funny look, shaking his head, before disappearing into the hallway with his bag. He re-emerged from the hallway empty-handed. He made his way over to the girl, taking a seat on the other side of her, "you know, this is my couch," he said.

She looked over at him with a serious expression, "you know, this is my personal space," she motioned around her, pointing out the proximity of the two.

"You don't seem to mind it when you're hitting me though," he replied.

"True, true," she agreed, "I do like doing that," she giggled. Kurapika watched as she lent back into the cushions, lying her head on the back of the couch, "we did so much yesterday. I just feel like falling asleep," she confessed, laying an arm over her eyes. Her eyes were tired and so was her body. Her head still ached in pain during moments of the day, and her wounds from the man remained.

Kurapika carried a pang of guilt with him from that incident. If only he had been swifter, maybe she wouldn't have gotten hurt. He sighed, "sorry," he said referring to the wound on her head.

Y/n moved her arm slightly, so she was able to see his face. It was faintly painted with worry and guilt. She smiled at his expression, "why?" she asked.

He gave her a soft look as he scanned her smile, "for not being able to stop him from hitting you," he replied.

Y/n sat up from her laid-back position. She placed a hand on top of his head, his blonde hair flowing through her fingers. Soft, she thought to herself.

 "I handled those guys easily. Piece of cake," she said with a smile, "and we're partners, right?" she asked. "So, I know you'll have my back when I'm in serious trouble."

As she pushed back his hair, his scarlet earring couldn't help but catch her eye. The scarlet jewel hung from a silver chain. She hadn't seen it before then, it was her first-time taking notice of it. It suited him.

Pretty, she thought, smiling to herself as he looked at her with his gentle grey eyes.

Kurapika, startled by her actions, was held in a daze. Her hand gently laid on his head, just as she had done to Beau. Kurapika looked at her, her eyes were shut closed as she smiled at him.

Cute, he thought to himself.

The warmth of her hand left him as Y/n rescinded her hand from his head. At that moment, Kurapika missed her touch. She opened her eyes, in expectation, to see the blonde who was now recomposed.

"And you'll have mine," he responded, "because we're partners."

Y/n gave him a nod in confirmation, "mhm," she hummed.