[Chapter 18] - Impact

A rumble grew in the distance.

A block away from the abandoned building, they sat huddled on a rooftop. The City of Yorknew was drained of its color, and the sun, hiding safely behind dark clouds, failed at lighting the streets. The warmth of their bodies was nothing against the cold chill, but they stayed huddled together as they spoke.

The chill of the wind prompted Linssen to fasten the buttons on his coat.

"Alrighty, so we'll split up," Basho said pridefully, "Linssen will go to the north side of the building and Melody will watch the east."

"And you?" Linssen asked their poorly selected team leader. It was obvious Kurapika favored Basho, he didn't try it hide it but choosing Basho as leader was a questionable choice.

Basho scoffed, "well of course I'll watch the south and the west." There was a smug grin stretching his face. He was jovial, they expected nothing less.

"Sorry, but if I may add, shouldn't we have someone who is trained in tracking, not fighting, observe a wider area?" Melody asked.

Basho straightened his back plumb. "As team captain, it is my responsibility to take on what others can't and put the group before myself," he responded.

Well at least he's aware, Melody thought to herself.

"If we spot any members of the Phantom Troupe, we leave and report it. We're not here to fight," Melody reminded them.

Linssen broke his gaze from them and scanned the buildings around them.

"I betcha I could take them," Basho pointed a thumb to himself, flexing his muscles.

Linssen slowly looked over at Basho, Basho's signature smug grin on his face. "You write poetry," Linssen stated.

Basho dropped his shoulders, scoffing.

"The last time we had an encounter with the troupe, we had to flee while Kurapika fought them himself," Melody said.

Basho mumbled angrily under his breath.

"We can't sit here and wait any longer," Linssen interjected, "we might miss them." He was impatient, and his heart was beating rapidly.

Melody nodded to Linssen.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Let's go," Basho huffed, pouting.

"Hey, umm," she hesitated, "watch yourselves out there. I have a bad feeling. So, don't leave your posts."

The two men didn't say a word. They both acknowledged Melody's instinct, giving her a small nod of the head. Then, they dispersed quickly, proceeding to their posts.

Drums of the weather echoed in the distance.

Basho inched towards the shattered window, his back riding the interior wall. In his hand, he clutched a small mirror, one he held to the window to peer outside. His heart was calm and his mind steady. He tilted the mirror so he could see through the eye of the reflecting glass.

The building was tall, and it stood strongly, yet it was cracked and spread like the veins of a living being. The stillness of the scene was almost enough to give him chills.

Basho had a clear view. There was no sign of movement on his sides.

Meanwhile, Melody set up watch on the right side of the building. She stood behind a neighboring stone complex, and used a mirror, matching the one Basho held. She out-stretched the mirror around the corner, and angled it to see the area she was covering.

The itching cold air pricked at her ears. She could hear the music of the Yorknew City abandoned business district, The sounds of the wind scattering dust, the caws of the crows, and the quiet creeping footsteps of small animals, they all played together to create a symphony of mayhem. The perfect meeting place to craft chaos.