[Chapter 9] - Sunlight

These past days spent with Kurapika were confusing for Y/n. He was an argumentative asshole within the first few minutes of meeting him. Within the first hours, he was blunt and rude. Within the first days, he was closed off and cold. Within the first week, his barriers were slowly pushed back, and he smiled, let her in, and even helped her out on occasion. Last night, he was silent, caught off guard... magnetic.

The way her fingers softly brushed against his skin, his hair – him, made her head confused. He wasn't her friend. No, he was even less than that. They were simply partners. Just two people using each other, and she needed to get that through her head.

You're just using him, she reminded herself, and he is just using you. He told you himself.

It was a dumb thought, but at that moment, it helped ease her anxieties. Anything more than friends - that was a funny thought.

The way he stared at her blankly kept surfacing in her mind; what a fun thing to see. She would love to see him be reduced to a blank expression more often, it made her feel powerful. Like he became completely helpless under her gaze. The quick-witted, cold Yorknew Mafia leader in the palm of her hands didn't sound so bad, rather exciting.

Y/n grabbed her flip phone off the nightstand, flipping it open to a singular notification. Strange. She was rarely contacted.

She opened her messages. The text came from Kurapika. She tilted her head confused. The message read, "Left. Been away too long. Key on the counter."

He's not here?

She left the guest room and walked out into the living room. Empty. The kitchen – Empty. She walked back into the hall and lightly knocked on his bedroom door. No response. She opened it slowly revealing a brightly lit room. The sun beamed through the window stretched from floor to ceiling, overlooking the city streets. His bed was made neatly; the blankets laid flat, and the pillows stood up on one another against the headboard. Empty, just like the rest of the apartment.

She sighed, running a hand down her face, "what the hell, we're supposed to be going back to the market today and he just leaves me here," she breathed, "where did he go?"

Been away for too long.

Away from where? She thought to herself.

Kurapika had taken a personal mission in joining her in the investigation of Togari's murder. It wasn't pertinent to his group because they didn't deal with narcotics, so there was no reason to aid, other than personal reasons. Maybe she should have realized this earlier. Assuming it was solely for information on the group who killed his family. Kurapika had most likely gone back to being the leader of the Yorknew Mafia.

God, he's so straight to the point, she sighs, referring to his text.

Assuming he's out all day, he's ditching their plans for the day. This means that she would have to go to the Bull Market by herself. She'd be alone with Killua and Gon. She suffered at the thought. Without her barrier of protection which is her blond-haired partner, she'd be defenceless. She thought about it for a moment before she ultimately decided against following through with the plan by herself. She pulled out her flip phone and called the Zoldyck Estate.

The phone rang once before a man picked up, "Zoldyck residence. Ms. Y/n, what is it this time?" the head butler asked, his voice distorted through the old phone.

"Can you tell Killua Zoldyck that I and Mr. Kurta won't be in attendance for today's plans," she responded.

There was a silent pause. The man cleared his throat, "I will," he said.