[Chapter 16] - This Uneasy Feeling

The pages whispered amongst themselves as they were brushed against one another; telling secrets. The sound of rustling paper as they moved and crinkled under the force of fingertips filtered through Y/n and Kurapika's ears.

The rays of the sun kissed their skin, it was warm and gentle. The morning sky lit up the dreary office. Kurapika's hair glowed gold like the sun as the two sat across a wooden coffee table. Kurapika sat on a couch while Y/n sat with her back resting against the couch opposite of him, crisscrossed on the ground.

Streams of ideas left the partner's heads as they discussed amongst each other. There was another day of work ahead of them and they started it early. Usually, there would be a groan of complaint from Y/n on the toll working this early caused her - yet she smiled casually.

After their conversation last night, Y/n felt a grip loosen around her throat, letting her voice and her laugh more easily surface. She felt a fraction brighter today than the last, and Kurapika noticed. It was refreshing hearing her genuine laugh rather than a stifled one, or maybe he was just imagining it, but she was more lively. That much was true.

"Since the auction, a lot has happened," Kurapika said.

Y/n sighed, "yeah, I've heard about it. Everything is going to shit," she put bluntly.

"Yeah," he said, writing in a black notebook, "that's for sure."

"I heard the Norreti Family disbanded," she mentioned.

The pen he held in his hand stopped abruptly, "... yeah," he said, resuming to write, "no one seemed to care though."

Kurapika couldn't help but think back to the other night when the leader of the Norreti Family shot him. He was so furious with him over the wound he made in his shoulder, but also, strangely, the way he yelled at Y/n during the meeting at the Zoldyck residence.

Y/n let out a small chuckle. Kurapika looked up at her and lifted a brow.

She shooed away his gaze, "be honest, who would care?"

Kurapika resumed writing. "True," he agreed

"The old man was a character, that's for sure," she said thinking back on the man, "and I would know," she testified, "we've met more than once."

"Really?" he asked.

"Yeah, he and Togari were business buddies," Y/n scoffed.

After learning that Togari reentered the world of narcotics, Y/n tried to keep a close eye on him. She was furious, to say the least. On occasion, she would see Mr. Norreti conversing with Togari down by the city docks. She would often go there to make sure Togari wasn't getting himself into trouble, but after a while, she stopped going.

The scent of roasted coffee grounds filled the air. Kurapika looked over to see Basho carrying two trays of coffee. Along with him were Melody and Linssen following closely behind her.

"Mind if we help?" Melody asked with a warm smile adorning her face.

"We brought coffee," Basho said, lifting the trays into better view. The fast motion sent a few drops of coffee to the ground.

"Hey, careful," Linssen warned, "you'll spill them all."

"Whoops," Basho chuckled, levelling the trays, "my bad."

Y/n and Kurapika laughed at the three's graceful entrance.

"Y/n this is Basho, Melody and Linssen," Kurapika introduced.

Basho grinned widely, "we work for Kurapika," he revealed.

Y/n glanced over at Kurapika and he wore a small smile on his face.