Chapter 116

Ian quietly called my name once more.

"Annabelle."

His deep gaze was distant. It felt like the world had stopped.

The beach in the early morning when no one was there, behind a large rock that no one could see.

Over our heads, water droplets, the wreckage of waves, scattered like clear stars.

Ian looked at me and said.

"I don't know whether you're tempting me or being straightforward anymore."

It was a slow but clear voice, and I could feel the will to no longer compromise. And at that decisiveness, my heart raced until it hurt.

His body temperature felt hot beneath me.

"I can't take it any longer."

His whispers intermingled with the sound of the waves.

"You..."

"Ian."

I lifted my finger and placed it between our lips.

I said quietly, interrupting him.

"I have something to say...I want to tell you."

I grabbed his hand, which was on the ground.

I slowly grabbed his hand and clasped it. His warmth slowly creeped through his fingers and made it hard to breathe.

Shall we just hide and kiss each other like this?

The short-sighted Annabelle Nadit would have done so.

But since I was Annabelle Rainfield, I overcame the urge.

Like my parents who made difficult decisions before making a living, I had to admit my past mistakes to move forward.

"Ian, I have something to confess to you."

Before Ian could say anything, I spoke out consciously of the warp ring that was on my hand.

"Actually... Like Reid in the past, I really tried to hurt you."

"...What..."

"It was really serious. Using all kinds of illegal drugs."

These were words that I had been preparing for a long time, so they continued without hesitation.

"The poison dart in the High Priest's procession, the bookmark explosion, were all prepared by us to harm you."

"...Huh?"

"But I knew that it wasn't going to work anyway, so I made a fuss at that time to stop it."

"..."

"If you had a crush on me at that time, you were wrong from the beginning. I was trying to commit a really serious crime against you. I wasn't trying to protect you, there were just stupid things that I was trying to cover up."

"Annabelle."

"I hid it from such actions and even asked you for various things. I thought that you wouldn't even notice since Reid was dead, so I shamelessly stood by your side because it seemed like everything had been covered up. I'm sorry."

"Why are you talking about things that I wouldn't even notice and that have all been covered up?"

A lot of emotions were contained in his low voice.

I couldn't even look into his eyes and answered.

"...That's...because I really like you."

I really wanted to say these words in a cool way, but my voice was small and trembling as if I was about to cry.