Chapter 34

The morning of the retirement ceremony was very clear and refreshing. I hummed and chose my clothes.

The High Priest's retirement ceremony was also a paternity test, so the square would be full as it was the first day in almost 100 years to conduct a paternity test.

After choosing the most colorful and pretty dress made by Marilyn, I felt like I was already a rich and capable single.

I was excited to leave the house, but Reid was drinking tea alone in the drawing room.

"Reid?"

I glanced at him and talked to him first.

"You're not going out? The retirement ceremony is starting soon."

"Oh."

Reid smiled awkwardly and scratched his chin.

"Go ahead. I have someone to meet for a while..."

"Who do you want to meet?""

"It's someone."

Since my paternity test was decided, Reid had been acting a little strange.

Of course, I thought he would be madly happy, but he just rolled his eyes like someone who was anxious and smiled awkwardly.

"Don't worry. I'll do my best at the swordsmanship competition."

I thought he might give up on the swordsmanship competition.

"But the dividend is huge, so it would be better for you to win first place than to become a noble."

I didn't mean to give him a penny, so I could understand Reid's frustration.

He spoke again with a slight bite on his fingernail.

"Okay, I'll trust you. Hurry up and go. I'll follow you soon."

I couldn't afford to pay attention to him enough to respond to the subtle weirdness.

This was because the thought of becoming Annabelle Abedes in front of countless people boiled the blood of a weak attention seeker in me.

Like that, I hummed and headed to Eilas Square.

Even though there was still a long way to go until the retirement ceremony, Eilas Square, which could be seen in the distance, was full of people.

'Let's get a house first. I'll be Marilyn's neighbor.'

For the first time in my life, my heart felt so excited.

To be honest... What I really wanted was not something like first place or a title.

It was to be recognized by the family.

I wanted to join in recognition by Caitlyn or Reid.

Thinking that I wanted to get along with Reid even after Caitlyn's death, I had been desperate since I was young.

After remembering my previous life, I realized that such a future would never come.

In addition, after admitting that everything I wanted was useless, I became more comfortable.

Reid and Caitlyn were bad families. There was no need to cling to them.

Instead, I decided to cling to what was 'mine'. For example, the right to inherit.

'In the past, I wanted inheritance rights for Caitlyn and Reid, but now, it's only for me!'

After organizing my thoughts step by step, I stopped heading toward Eilas Square.