Chapter 56 "The Two favorite People"

Lucifer's P.O.V.

"Is everything okay Lucifer? You seemed dazed during the entire meeting." Uncle Dolivo asked in a concerned voice.

"Everything is fine uncle Dolivo! Just a bit tired!" I lied and made an excuse, but painted it with a smile on my face so as to make my lie look a bit more convincing.

"Tired! You never used that word your entire life when it came to your work!" he was obviously surprised, but the way he paused made it clear that his teasing was not yet over.

"So you are a human after all!" he chuckled loudly and playfully teased much more clearly, making me go all red faced with shyness.

"He's recently doing a lot of things that he has never done before in his life!" suddenly amidst the playfulness, Andrei Dolivo entered my office and as expected, every last bit of cheerfulness and liveliness that barely started to lighten up the mood of the room, escaped out of the window in a puff.

"Did you see Mr. Salotto to his car?" Uncle Dolivo asked Andrei in a stern voice, clearly annoyed with his mocking tone that he used earlier.

"Yes, but he wanted to talk something with Asher, just the two of them, so I left them to have the chat and came here." he said in a casual tone.

"Why don't we wait for Asher to come? May be he has some ideas to discuss; about the deal with Mr. Salotto." he suggested, taking both me and uncle Dolivo by surprise.

Unless it was something that benefited him in making his mafia stronger and bigger than mine, he was never serious about anything, let alone a regular business deal.

And though Mr. Salotto was a well known name in both the businesses we had, this deal had nothing to with increasing his power as the mafia leader.

So his sudden interest in the deal not only caught uncle's attention, but also brought me on guards.

"I thought we could have some coffee as we wait for him, but I didn't see your secretory in her cabin. Has she gone somewhere? I didn't see her in the meeting even." Before I could ask him anything regarding his sudden piqued interest, he himself made his intentions clear.

"Cabin?! Since when did your office start providing a personal cabin for secretaries?" uncle Dolivo asked in an amused voice.

"And let alone a cabin, you were never the kind to let any employee slack off from his job. How did Olivia get away with it?" he teased playfully with a chuckle at the end.

"Olivia is no longer my assistant-" I started to reply but was cut off by Andrei.

"Ohh..He now has a new personal assistant who is much more beautiful with an amazingly hot bo-" he started with his demeaning description, causing me to subconsciously clench my fists so tight that I could even feel the sting on my palm due to the digging of my nails into my skin.

"Andrei!" before I could lose my cool and snap his neck then and there for disgracing and dishonoring my angel, uncle Dolivo's warning filled voice echoed through the room as he reprimanded Andrei.

"Behave!" he looked at Andrei with a stern intimidating gaze.

"You should never disrespect a girl. I have made this clear multiple times already...and you know I don't like repeating myself!" though his voice was low, but the threat encompassed in it could not be more clear.

"I was just saying that Lucifer's new assistant is far better than Olivia in 'every aspect'.." despite Uncle Dolivo's warning, Andrei words and tone were filled with impudence, but the arrogant confidence or rather the over confidence with which his voice was filled a few moments ago was surely faltered.

"Lucifer!" before I could reply Andrei with my fist which I so much was wishing for but was containing the urge just for the sake of respect I have for uncle Dolivo, Asher's dashed in the office.

"What's this?" suspecting the envelope in his hands to probably be the reason for the urgency in his voice, I immediately asked about it.

"This.." he lifted the envelope up to my eye level and motioned towards it. "..can wait.." he paused.

"But this.." he lifted the cellphone in his other hand and waved it in front of my face. "..can not!" he completed.

For a moment, the urgency and earnestness in his voice got to me, worrying me, and the worry could soon have been turned into fear...if only I didn't know him better.

The mischief in his eyes and the laughter which he was so desperately trying to restrain made me take a closer look at his cellphone and the name that flashed on his screen as the ongoing call made everything clear.

"Come back home! Right now!" without even giving a chance to address her, my angel's voice boomed through the cellphone as soon as I brought it near my ears, but what surprised me was authority with which she was speaking to me.

Instead of the requesting tone or the cautiousness to never be 'too' demanding; that always was the most prominent part of her voice... for the first time my angel spoke to me with a sense of entitlement, with prerogative; exclusive to family.

Though it was getting harder and harder by each passing second to restrain the ecstasy I was feeling at the moment, I tried my best to conceal the smile that was desperately trying to form on my face. Today's incident with Andrei was enough to make me realize that I had done enough damage already and thus didn't want to increase it further.

But the contentment that I was basking in must have let my guards down, as I saw suspicion in Andrei's eyes; while amusement in uncle Dolivo's, when subconsciously my gaze met theirs in the very next moment, making me cautious of the all the probable dangers that my angel could face, if the truth about my feelings for her surfaced, especially in front of Andrei.

But what made me more cautious was neither the suspicion nor the amusement, but the mischief that was not only still prevailing in Asher's eyes but was growing more and more prominent by each passing second.

I bet he would have been rolling in laughter if only uncle Dolivo and Andrei were not present. I knew that he definitely knew something that I was unaware of, but before I could ask him anything, I got all my answers as I saw the name that flashed on the screen of my cellphone in the very next moment.

"Your other favorite person!" Asher mouthed, hardly able to contain his laughter, as he motioned towards Andrei and then towards my cellphone.

"Did anything happen Lucifer?" suddenly uncle Dolivo's concerned voice entered my ears, bringing me out of my trance.

"Huh?!" clueless to what to respond, my helpless gaze landed on my cellphone that was still ringing, and then on Asher who was still somehow holding himself from bursting into laughter.

"Oh..don't worry uncle Dolivo. Nothing has happened..." he replied in a voice full of conviction.

"...Yet!" he turned towards me immediately, and mouthed with a playful smirk plastered on his lips.

And here I was wondering that how could my life be not a mess yet!

"Just you wait idiot..no one will be able to save you this time, not even my angel..I promise!" I stared at him without uttering a single word, well aware that he got the message.

But as expected of him, instead of getting scared that I was aiming for, the playful smirk on his face turned into a full fledged mocking smile.

Argghh! Why does he know me so well? Just why?

A/N

Hello my lovely readers. I am so sorry for the delayed update but I hope you will continue to love and support my novel as always.

I know that I have not been able to post the chapters on the scheduled days lately and I truly apologize for that. But I will try my level best to update the chapters as per the schedule from now on.

Please like, vote and comment. And do tell me what you think of this chapter. Your views mean a lot to me.

Love you all! Enjoy reading!