Chapter 14 "I will not let anything happen to you"

Lucifer's P.O.V

"But I d-don't want that. I don't w-want to d-do the things I n-need to do in order to get me any f-food or anything else. I c-can't bear them a-anymore. I..I don't want to b-bear them anymore." she whispered barely able to hold back a sob, again looking at the ground with her face down. Tears again formed at the corner of her eyes, threatening to fall any moment.

Rage surged up in me listening to her fearful voice and tear stricken face. I don't know exactly what happened to her in those two years, but I can only imagine the monstrosities she had to suffer to make her dispirited to this level, from the vibrant person she was; when I first met her. It's as if they are two completely different people rather than one.

I need to know what she has suffered and who was the cause of her sufferings but I also knew that now was not the right time to demand her of that information.

No matter how desperately I want her to open up to me and tell me about the person who instilled such extreme terror in her but I can't just expect her to trust me overnight and tell me about her pain and torments that she went through and endured and are still bothering her soul to the very end.

"Hey.. ang-" Struggling with the words that would probably calm her and more importantly settle down my anger towards her torturer, I tried to begin the conversation and raised my hand to wipe the tears off her face. But even before I was done addressing her, her muffled sobs were replaced by her ceaseless and heart wrenching cries.

It felt like countless daggers stabbed my heart all at once when her pained cries fell onto my ears. It was taking every ounce of willpower in me to just sit in front of my angel, seeing her crying this badly and unable to do anything about it.

But I know that no matter how much seeing my angel like this- like the terrified and broken soul she has become pains me, for now I need to endure the pain and be strong for her.

I need to be here with her. I need to make her believe that whatever happened is in the past and it will never ever happen again. I will not allow it happen again.

I have to make her believe in me but more importantly I have to make her believe in herself.

"Hey.. angel..listen to me..you don't have to fear for anything. You don't have to be afraid of anyone. And you certainly don't have to do anything in return for anything. You have me here with you and trust me I will not let anything happen to you ever. I will not allow any harm to come to you. Okay?"

I continued to hold her hands and rub soothing circles at the back of her palm with my thumb.

I wanted so badly to hold her in my arms in a tight hug to make her feel protected and assure her that from now on, not even a single trace of her past will be able to step in her present and wreck her future but I knew better than to do that. She was trusting me enough to let me hold her hand and comfort her in her vulnerable state and I was more than fine with that, at least for now.

I let her cry her heart out with the hope that may be the sorrow and the pain her heart felt would also flush down with her tears and that would somehow invigorate her.

Relief washed over me when the agonizing cries of my angel gradually turned into just hiccups . She looked visibly calm and relaxed. I waited patiently for her to completely relax and when she finally did, a small smile unknowingly formed on my lips and I let out a relieved sigh.

She nodded slightly, perhaps partially comprehending what I said and partially to convey me that she was fine now. But she looked still a bit hesitant, still not able to trust completely.