Chapter 28 "Nightmare"

Angela's P.O.V

Darkness! The same darkness that I was living in; since the last two years, was once again mocking me. No matter how much I try to escape it, it has somehow become my inevitable fate.

I once again wriggle my hands in an attempt to free myself from the metal chains that have been constraining my hands to the two walls on opposite sides but as it has been since the past two years, once again, my attempts brought nothing but a few more cuts and injuries to my wrists.

The accustomed feeling of the blood dripping from the cuts after each of my futile attempt, reminded me once again that this reality of mine is what I should have been come to terms with; long ago. But it seems like the naive me is not still able to accept my reality.

I once again try to wriggle, the only difference being that this time I try to free my legs instead of my arms from the two other chains that were clasped with my ankles through heavy metal shackles. After what felt like an eternity, I crouched on the cold floor, while a defeated grunt erupted from my mouth involuntarily.

Even though the length of the chains that bound my hands and legs to the walls on each side of me, was enough to restrain me from bringing my hands close enough so as to remove the blindfold that was the only permanent piece of clothing I had; since I came to this hell, or at the very least eat the 'food' that I got, but thankfully the chains were long enough for me to be able to kneel on the floor and as 'he' said, be able to take a rest.

The clattering of the chains that filled the silence a few moments ago, was now once again tranquil, causing a defeated chuckle to escape my lips realizing the truth. 

This is my reality and no matter what I have to learn to live in it. Even the tears that once were a source to release my pain have now dried up. It seems to be ages ago, since they stopped to trickle from my eyes and soothe the scars that are now embedded on my heart and my soul.

The tiredness from all my ineffectual and useless efforts started to engulf me, and my body started to feel limp, but I made no effort to fight back the drowsiness. 

Instead I just prayed to God to end my life, as I was well aware that any of my prayer to help me escape the hell I was in and end my miseries, was of no use. I have prayed for that for long enough to know that. 

Though every now and then, the scrapes of hope that somehow were barely able to survive in my heart, poured some strength in me to try to break free and escape, but every time my failure brutally reminded me that the only way to get away from this hell is to die.

My eyes that were already tightly shit by the blindfold were about to squeeze more tightly, when the smell hit my nose. The smell of cigar! 

He was here!

The repeated tapping sound of his footsteps was getting more and more clear, causing my heartbeat to increase with each step he took towards me. 

Suddenly the footsteps could no longer be heard which only meant that he was now standing in front of me, which he 'subtly' confirmed when he kicked my knees with his pointed shoes. 

The silence that spread in the room till now, was once again invaded by the clattering of the chains as I wriggled my body as best as I could, again holding the useless candle of optimism, and hoping that by doing so I might be able to increase the distance between 'him' and me. 

Even the ridiculous thought of increasing the distance to the extent that he would not be able to reach me, crossed my mind but the thought was immediately jerked out of my mind when a slap landed on my face causing my face to tilt to the side, and the stinging pain on my cheek reminded me of the reality.