Chapter 53 "Insecurities"

Asher's P.O.V

"I.."after waiting for what felt like eternity, I was finally able to hear her say something, but even before she started, she paused.

"Kiddo..You know you can talk to me about anything, right?!" I prompted in a low comforting voice, hoping to soothe her anxiety.

"I..I am sorry." she whispered hesitantly after a moment, but her answer caused nothing but increase my confusion.

Why was she feeling sorry when she was nowhere in fault?

I tried to take a closer look at her face in hope to understand what she was exactly thinking, but she lowered her head even more, blocking any sight of emotions on her face.

"Kidd-" Though only a few moments had passed, but with each passing moment, I was getting more and more anxious. So I started to call her again in order to encourage her to speak, but thankfully she herself continued.

"I didn't want to avoid Lucifer, but.." she paused, but that brief moment of hesitation which she took, was enough for me to feel my heart drop to my stomach.

"I was..confused." she stated after thinking for a moment, as if trying to look for the most apt word.

Confused?! When I decided to talk to her last night I thought of every possible answer she could give. Anger, fear, curiosity, disappointment, hatred even, but confusion?!

Lucifer told me to be patient with her and I myself knew by now that she was not the kind of person who gets vocal easily, about her thoughts.

But unfortunately, patience is not something that comes easily to me. I was barely able to control my curiosity about her answer till now, and after I discovered her feelings for Lucifer a few minutes ago, every passing minute was nothing but a torture.

Especially when I know that her silence and every second that her silence encompassed; could decide the fate of the two most important people of my life, it was getting harder and harder to just sit and wait for her to continue..patiently!

"After what I saw that day, the way Lucifer killed those men without batting an eye, the way you were unaffected by it, the way Lucifer responded to his gunshot wound as if it was nothing, as if he was accustomed to the pain and injuries..." before I could lose my sanity due to the tons of anxiety I was feeling, she thankfully continued to explain, but paused abruptly.

"..I should be scared, right..?" she paused again, while still looking down.

The pauses she was taking, though they were not lasting for more than a minute or two, but I could feel my heart stop in those gaps.

Though I didn't want to admit it.. but whatever she said was right.

'She should be scared of us!'

Just because she didn't know our real identities, didn't lessen the fact that we were dangerous. We were habituated to the killings, shootings, deaths..but she was not.

She should not have witnessed what she did, no normal person should have! But she still did. Of course she would be scared!

"Then.. why am I not scared?" saving me from the ocean of despondency I was drowning in, she suddenly asked, while finally looking at me.

To say I was relieved would be an understatement. Despite all my efforts to stay calm and composed as I knew there was more to what she let out, a big broad smile was desperate to make its way on my face. Thankfully before I could utter anything stupid in my ecstasy, she continued.