[Vol. 3] Chapter 63

After reading, or trying to read those characters, the empress let me go to feed the emperor. She didn't want me near her husband but as Arashi had said to her, I was the only one who knew of his ways. 

Which I didn't...

I entered the emperor's chamber and as directed, one of Arashi's men gave me another wrapper.

I was feeding the emperor his medicine when I noticed his purple nails were fading. I hoped it was a good sign.

I tried to see his tongue but it still was blue. 

I sighed. 

"Please be well and come back alive," I prayed for him and heard the large doors opening. 

I tilted my head toward the door and saw the empress and Arashi's sister, Rei, were coming. I immediately sat straight. Why were they here?!

Of course, to see if the emperor was fine. But he wasn't. 

He hadn't moved at all and still was in his deep slumber. 

As they came near I bowed at them and the empress asked, her voice was strangely soft when asking about her husband, "Has he moved yet?"

I shook my head. "He hasn't, your Highness."

Her face struck with sadness as Rei placed her hands on the empress, soothing her. They came near the sleeping body of the emperor and sat beside him. 

In a moment, the maids came with liquid food for the emperor and I noticed, one of Arashi's men, Kairo, was among them, wearing their outfit.

Kairo was a young man with a good looking feature as I had seen him in his Kuro Soldier's attire but he looked really simple and anyone would easily mistaken him for a normal man.

I was amused. Arashi and I had arrived a day ago yet he had placed his men at every corner of the palace without anyone's notice. 

If I hadn't met his men or hadn't seen their faces, I wouldn't know it either.

As the food arrived, the previous women who we had met on the first day came as well: Akio and her mother. They came and bowed to the empress and Rei as they started to sniff. 

Arashi had told them and me that whenever I was feeding or giving the emperor medicines, I always had to make sure there was no one else around. Even if it is the empress. 

I bowed to them and asked, "While I feed the emperor, please kindly wait outside. I will inform you immediately once I am done with my task, your highnesses."

"No need. We will stay here." The empress said, discarding my request and Arashi's instructions. "You may start doing your task."

I stood up and went toward the emperor's bed. To feed him, I had to sit on the bed so I hopped on it and immediately the other woman, Akio's mother said, "How dare you sit on the emperor's bed with your status. This is disrespectful!"

And Akio said, "Even our maids don't do that. They maintain a distance. And we have heard you are only a farmer's daughter!"

They both glared at me as my eyes moved toward the empress. I was angry that at a time like this, when we should be thinking how to make the emperor well, they were talking nonsense about status and origins. 

My displeasure must have displayed on my face as Rei said, "Please, aunt Aikawa and Akio, right now is not the time for us to talk about these things."

They both looked at Arashi's little sister as she gave them a displeased look. "My brother has given Bianka full permission to use her knowledge any means necessary even if it is to touch the emperor or feed him."