[Vol. 1] Chapter 17

After our lunch, Arashi said, "Go take a small nap while I am going to give him the medicine."

He looked at a distance possibly to determine the time as he added, "Otherwise they will be late to return home."

I nodded. "Where do they live?"

"Outside of this village, after the fields end."

The day I came with Arashi, I noticed the fields belonged to the village people. Most of them. But if the priest's house was after those ended that meant, they lived quite far away. No wonder Arashi needed to go now.

Arashi went to his chamber and while I was cleaning the kitchen, he came back wearing his usual yukata. His long hair tied up in a pony tail and he had a bag in his hand. "I will be right back."

"Be careful." The words left from my mouth before I could think of any reply.

Arashi turned his head back to me and gave me a tender smile and added, "Don't go outside."

My eyes followed him until he vanished into the woods. Now that I had nothing to do, I thought I could give a small troll in the house.

My eyes followed his chamber where he kept his medicines and all the other things. My feet padded against the tatami mats as I stood near the door, my heart thumping in excitement. Although I had taken a small peek at the room while he was working, I didn't come to check the whole room.

Slowly, I slid the door and entered. The room was neat and clean. Not to mention all of his things were carefully placed in their respective areas. Each selves had numbers and I had assumed it was for remembering which herbs were where. On his small table, that stayed before the shelves, there were piles of papers, pens, ink pots and many small to large sized paper bags.

It was just as simple as one could think. Nothing unusual and nothing much to determine its wealth. As I was about to leave, my eyes fell on a large box that stayed at a corner beside the selves. Although it had no dust, it laid like it had no use in his life.

I went there and I saw it was locked. It was strange as Arashi had expensive herbs and spices yet he had never kept them locked inside any boxes. Yet he had locked the large box.

My eyes moved to the table. Would he leave the key here?

My heart thumping loudly as I neared the small table. I knew I still had time as it would take time for Arashi to reach the mountain shrine and give them the medicines. And then come back but there was something in me told that it was not a good move.

Although my curious cat purred in me, I should not try to look at his things when he had locked it away. He was my husband now. He would be angry if I did anything beyond my limits.

I sighed and left the room. To be honest, I didn't have enough courage to do that. He might be very gentle but I suppose that was because I had never done anything that would make him mad.

I went back to the room and saw, my futon was spread out over the tatami floor. A small smile lingered in my mouth knowing that Arashi had done that before leaving.

I laid on the futon and soon sleep came without knocking the door.

I woke up at a sound of rushing wind and saw the room was already darkened. I peered through the window and saw the sky had been blackened with clouds while wind rushed heavily slapping the trees surrounding us. I sat up immediately as I heard footsteps on the veranda and on our large hall. My heart thumped.

If it was Arashi then why were there so many footsteps. Did he come or not? My mind formed many notions and most of them ran toward the bad side.

It could be burglars, thieves, or maybe animals or worse, ghosts. Sweat formed on my forehead as I looked around for anything. Probably a stick.