Chapter 45 - Crossroads

*Back at Shannon's*

Ivy got deja vu from earlier as Shannon once again pulled up into his drive and cut the engine to his Jeep.

The short ride back had been quiet with neither of them saying a word; be that down to Shannon's revelation or the both of them being truly drained and exhusted, neither of them knew or cared.

As soon as Shannon cut the engine Ivy cracked open her car door and climbed out. Shannon didn't say anything but sat there watching her get out and walk up to his front door; fiddling with his car keys in his hands as he did so.

He exhaled deeply frustrated, and slumped his head to smack his steering wheel.

When he looked up, he found Ivy had gone inside; one of the double doors being left open slightly for him.

Shannon groaned again, this meant that Jared hadn't listened to him and was still there. Just what he didn't need right now.

Climbing out of his Jeep, he walked round to Ivy's side before shutting her door and made his own way up his frontsteps and clicking the door shut behind himself, locking it.

There were murmured voices coming from the kitchen and the light from it cast a soft yellow glow over one of his couches. He realised that Jared was still here and Ivy was talking to him.

Not knowing what he should do, Shannon lingered around by his front door.

He didn't have to wait long as the sound of Emily's voice grew louder and her shadow appeared on the lounge wall, growing larger as she left.

Glass of water in hand, Ivy switched on the light to the landing and slowly padded up the stone steps.

Shannon still stood in the shadows of his lobby and watched her accending. She was still the most beautiful woman he had ever set his eyes on, but he knew there was nothing more he could do, he had finally told her the truth and told her about Lilly, there was nothing else he had left to say to her, it ultimately came down to her to see what her next move was.

There was the sound of feet shuffling in the kitchen and then Jared appeared, mug of herbal tea in his hand, no doubt chamomille, Shannon mused to himself.

His brother didn't spot him standing there and Shannon narrowed his eyes at him as he also watched him ascend the stairs; his thin, willowy figure casting an exaggerated stick-like man on the wall as he did so.

Crossing the lounge, Shannon made his own way into the kitchen and tossed his keys into the fruit bowl that Jared has insisted he bought and kept stocked for when he came to stay.

Grabbing his own glass from a cupboard, he also filled it with water and drank some, before tipping the remainder down the sink. Pausing for a second more, he ran a hand through his hair and made his way out of the kitchen, flicking off the light as he went.

Accending the stairs and shuffling over to his bedroom door he once again heard murmured voices and he hesitated with his hand on the door handle.

"I'm sorry you had to find out like this Iv."

Shannon could hear his brothers voice gently talking to Ivy. Here he went, the White Knight, always trying to portray himself as the good guy who no one had a bad word to say against.

He heard Ivy sniffling and turned his gaze to the ground. He hated knowing that he was the reason behind her crying right now, it made him feel like a complete ass, and this was the last thing he wanted.

"I-I he's married Jay. How do you even hide something like that for so long?"

"Because he doesn't want it to affect his life and how he's portrayed, but he's also doing it for Lilly's sake too."