Castaway - Chapter 3

Chapter 3 : Opening Up

------

 I shook my hair out of it's grasp, removed the glasses and scarf. Stuffing it all insid my bag. Let's get this over with. Scaredly I twisted the doorknob. My parents were angrily watching T.V. Alcohol in my dad's hand and cigarattes in my mom's. I could actually feel the tension between them. As quietly as I could I closed the door.  

 Tippy - toeing to the staircase, I had almost made it. When the sixth step squeaked. I cursed under my breath, as my parents heads quickly snapped to me. Without moving his glance my dad pressed mute on the T.V. Slow smiles crept up their againg faces.  

 "How was school sweetie?" HA! As if she cared a damn thing about me.  

 "Fine," I said curtly starting to walk away.  

 "Where do YOU think you're going?"  My dad sneered while my mom smirked.  

 "N-nowhere." I stammered, backing up against the wall as I saw my dad stand up and near towards me.  

 He slapped me across the face, the sickening sound echoed throughout the room.  

 "Don't. Lie. To. Me." He growled fiercely.   I nodded rapidly, causing my neck to start aching. A wry smirk spread across his face, he still didn't back off.  

 "I-i need to do my ho-homework." I lied.   The only thing my parents seem to care about besides alcohol and cigarattes were grades.  

 He took a step back and I dashed to my bedroom. I was breathing heavily when I was safely inside. My room was my sanctuary. The walls were painted black with blue and white paint splattered on it. Dozens of music posters covered up my walls. On the trims stenciled designs of music notes were made.   I jumped on the soft bed, crying silently.

 ----

 Hazily I rubbed my eyes with my clenched fists. Oh man, I'm going to be late! My clock showed it was 7:45. I threw on  darkwash skinny jeans, black tank top underneath a white long sleeved cardigan. Slipping on white flats and fake glasses, I brushed my hair quickly. I slipped out the door and ran back to Nat's Cafe.  

 When the cafe was in sight, I saw Nat stand outside looking around desperately.

 "Nat, I'm here!"   Nat sighed in relief and rushed me inside.   "Full house tonight, Essence! Tanner and Locke are setting up inside."   I nodded, still deciding whether I should sing, Jar Of Hearts or Two Is Better Than One.

 "Hey Tanner! Do you know Two Is Better Than One?"   Tanner smirked and nodded.

 He looks almost like Ethan. Except Tanner's dark brown hair is a bit longer and covers most of his left eye. Tanner has liquidy violet eyes. I am absotlutely in love with his eyes. They were flat out amazingly gorgeous, it's not even fair. Sadly, even Ethan's can't compare. He's my age, 17.  

 Locke on the other hand had his blond hair spiked up. Giving a clear view of his grass green eyes. Locke was 20, Nat's boyfriend. He towered over me at 6'2. Broad shoulders and muscular frame.  

 "Sing it with me?" I asked. Tanner was an amazing singer! The best I've heard so far.  

  "Sure, let's go. Curtain's opening up in two."   We sat on the wooden stools facing eachother, microphones in hand. Locke and Natalie in the background strumming the guitars softly. Tanner looked deeply into my eyes, singing directly to me.  

 "I remember what you wore on the first day...  

 ...Two is better than one."   As we finished up the song, the crowd erupted into cheers and claps. We grinned and mockingly bowed. I laughed the whole way off the stage for god knows what reason.

 "That was great guys! Thank you so much for doing this!" Nat beamed happily at all of us. Giving Locke a quick peck on the lips.  

 "No problem, Natalie."  

 "Miss Evans? Someone is calling for you." Simon, an employee for Nat, told me.  

Who's looking for me? What if it's my parents. Impossible, nobody knows about this. Much to my horror I see Ethan waiting patiently, completely oblivious to the lustful stares he's attracting to himself. I panicked, what if he tells everybody at school?  

 "You were amazing!" He grinned.  

 Unsure of what to say, I started with a "Thanks."  

"Look Ethan, please. Don't tell ANYBODY about this! I mean NOBODY!" I said with all of the sterness I could muster. I didn't want anybody to know. Only Natalie, Tanner and Locke knew about my abilities. Well, now Ethan. But that's it. Three was enough, now four?  

 Shockingly, Ethan responded, "Why not? That was great."  

 "Please, Ethan! Promise me you won't tell." I widened my eyes and my lower lip bugged out. Childish, yes. But i'll do anything to keep this secret hidden.   Ethan took in a breath, nodding slowly. Keeping his eyes in my lips. Awkwardness settled between us.

 He parted his lips when Locke yelled, "Ready Essence?"  

 "Be right there!"  

 Turning my body back to Ethan, "Gotta go. See you!"  

 I made my way backstage. I turned to sneak a peek at Ethan. He stood there staring at me fazed.