Chapter 35

The first thing Delyth does this morning is send the two dresses she stitched by hand to Priscilla, the cute as a button blonde girl she met a few days ago. She even included five silk ribbons because she knows how expensive they are and how lucky any little girl would be if they even could afford one. She wishes she could see the huge smile on her face when she got them because that would've surely brightened her day.

Heaven knows she needs the motivation. She heard the night before that despite not receiving any reports about suspicious deaths, Silas is still looking for Obitus. Delyth thought he would've given up by now but it has become obvious that he hasn't. Delyth didn't understand why Silas is so obsessed with killing Obitus. It wasn't until she spoke to Jothan, everything became clear.

She didn't know the hate she harbored for him could get any worse.

"I understand that he killed innocent people but I doubt Silas would care much about them. Is there a reason he's really after him?" Delyth asked, her fingers crossed behind her back in hopes that Jothan could give her some information.

Jothan cleared his throat and scratched the nape of his neck. "You already know about the ordered kills for the fairies and other mythical creatures in Swuybia by Boaz Casteron many years ago and the ones in hiding that Silas captured a few years ago." Delyth nods, remembering the story Tiarnan told her at the Shed.

"Boaz Casteron told everyone that they committed treacherous and odious crimes privately and should be put down. Truth be told, Boaz Casteron was threatened by how much power they had collectively more than the family. As far as he knows, the Casteron family should be the most powerful in the entire Udriles Kingdom. Imagine what happens when you are taught that from a young age and you learn that "Someone in Naelund has possessed a dangerous amount of power that will doom us all," is what the seer said. And later discover that they don't even have to touch you to kill you. In the mind of Silas Casteron manipulated by Boaz Casteron, that person should be found and killed by any means.

She could hear the thrilling music in the background as she listened to every word.

Power. In the end, everything is about power for Silas. This facade he portrays himself as around her. This calm, gentleman with some sort of morals. That is not him. He will always be a self-conceited diabolical man.

She glances beside her at the dark haired brute of a King that offered to escort her through Varusa, who's doing an annoyingly good job as well. He waves at a middle aged couple with a teen son standing in the door frame. Instead of waving back, they almost fall over each other's feet trying to get inside their home and slamming the door behind them in the process.

He doesn't give the impression of being bothered by their reactions, he plasters on a smile, rolls his shoulders and continues to trod through the villages, pointing to the different main points. Suddenly, a small kid—boy around the age of 6—accidentally runs into Silas. A box falls out of the inside of his suit jacket and onto the floor between them.

The young boy looks up at the person he knocks into and crawls away on the ground, eyes wide in fear when he realizes who it is. Delyth moves quickly and picks him up off the ground, brushing the dust off his garments meanwhile he tries to maintain a good distance between him and King Silas.

Taking the box off the floor, he pulls the boy close to him by his collar and backhands him hard. A loud gasp leaves Delyth's lips. The boy lets out an ear-shattering shriek, holding his slowly developing red cheek, fat tears pouring out of his big dark eyes.

Silas shakes the box in the child's face. "Do you know how much this cost? What if you damaged it?"

"Have you gone insane?" Delyth pulls the boy to her body. He quickly wraps his arms around her and cries in her uniform, during which she brushes his hair to calm him. "You are going to hit a child because he ran into you and your only concern is about a stupid box?"