Chapter 28

The more Silas stares at Delyth, the more disgusted and angry she gets.

She wants to unsheathe her sword from her hip and jam it through his head. Keeping intense eye contact with the twenty-nine year old, blue eyed King feels like a snake was slithering its way around her leg all the way to her neck and squeezing until she feels him go limp. Tiarnan sees her body shaking a little in pure fury and it breaks his heart that he can't pull her in his chest and calm her down.

The reason Silas always keeps his eye trained on Delyth while talking to her isn't because of respect but because he developed a sudden obsession with the color of her eyes in the short amount of time he has met her.

Her eyes make me feel like I am being set on fire but I am more entranced by her beauty than the warmth of the heat that I don't mind being burned alive, He muses every time he gazes back into her eyes having looked away for the most of three seconds.

"Jothan Kersey is my Captain of the Guard," he introduces, patting the back of a shoulder length, white haired man with a stern face. He's an inch or two taller than Silas. He keeps a passive look on his face, giving the expression that he is strict and uncaring.

He continues, "This is Zadok Toule, my Commander." He gestures for a midnight blue-haired, average height Asian man with a chiseled jaw and strong bone structure, to approach. He has a thin moustache and beard and his face looks friendly but also serious. His eyes slowly glance at each of them and when he sees Delyth and realizes that she is a woman, his eyes round, caught by surprise. He recovers and gives her subtle nod of respect.

This gesture overwhelms Delyth's heart and she feels appreciated and honored that the Commander doesn't look threatened by her or look at her in a way that tells her that he didn't think she belonged there.

"There are not many rules so I find they should be easy for you to follow." He stops in his pace and gives them a pointed look. He puts up his index finger to indicate his first rule. "When addressing me, do not speak unless I allow it. There will be consequences."

He puts up a second finger. "If I find you lacking in your responsibilities, again, consequences." Another finger is added. "Betray me in any way, shape or form, and the outcome will not be a good one. Three rules, that is all. Break any of these three simple rules and you will be introduced to my dragon, Kalodor and dog, Homer."

He pauses and it's as though a bulb lights above his head because Silas flashes a cynical smile. "As a matter of fact, this is the perfect opportunity to introduce them. Don't you think, Jothan?"

Tentatively, they follow behind King Silas and Captain Kersey in the dark dungeon. There are other cells occupied with a few skulls, skeletons, fragile-on-the-brink-of-death people and heavy chains hanging from the ceilings and walls. There is a single whole in the brink that allows sunlight and minimal wind to peek through.

They come upon a large, pitch black eyed, three headed dog that jumps to its feet as soon as they see it. They, except Jothan and Silas, jump back in fright. Silas whistles to get their attention and orders them to settle down.

"Homer, these are our new reinforcements," Silas makes known with a wide smile etched on his face. He focuses on a perturbed Delyth and approaches her closely, lightly brushing shoulders with her. He notices her stiffening due to his close contact but ignores it even though it brings on a weird pang in his chest. "I hope you're good at following orders; it would be a shame if we lost a pristine Dame all too soon."

Her head whips in his direction, her eyes narrowed at him, taken aback that he would make such a threat so loud and clear. Unfazed by the dismay on her face, he smiles and leads them to the back of Lardel Castle.

"Are you okay?" Tiarnan whispers as soon as Silas is out of earshot. Unable to utter a word, she nods her head. Having Tiarnan by her side is enough to console her. He is her anchor.

Here, they stand in front of a 80 meters tall, fiery eyed, black dragon. Wings spread wide, back spikes protruding, tail moving behind him and mouth open to showcase his sharp teeth. There is no denying that for something so ferocious, he moves so graceful. At this point, the guards and knights are hugging the door and silently praying for the tour to be over so they can do their assigned duties. Delyth doesn't know how she got there, but she is currently standing in the front of the cowering and trembling men.

Her knees are almost buckling too but if she's learnt anything from her time with Ravi, if you show no fear or antagonize the creature, then they will have no reason to attack.

Silas and Jothan stand to the side as they watch Kalodor approach Delyth. Jothan tries to get him to back off but Silas puts a hand to Jothan's chest to prevent him from doing anything. He wants to see how Delyth responds to it.

Kalodor lowers his head to come face to face with Delyth. He breathes heavily, his hot breath hitting her in the face as an intimidation tactic. The stare-down lasts for more than a minute but a terrified Delyth holds her head high and stands her ground. Kalodor sees a part of the claw mark on her neck and huffs. He brings his head to her hand, Delyth remains unmoving, unsure what to do. He brushes the side of his scaly head against her hand and subconsciously, her hand moves and she runs her hand along the bridge of his nose.

Suddenly, she no longer fears him. A slow smile makes its way on her lips and she begins to use both hands to caress his scaly head. The fear in the other subside, the tight knights in their body relax and they carefully advance toward Kalodor. He sees the movement and lifts his head, growling at them, putting the fear back in them.

Watching this, as anxious as he is for her safety in the hands of a 12 feet tall beast, he is not surprised that someone as small and seen as delicate in the eyes of men is the person to sensitize the dragon. A sense of pride floods through him knowing that this powerful woman is his.

Jothan's jaw is on the floor and Silas's body twitches in anger. Never has he seen his dragon like this and it is an almost unforgivable sight. Unable to stand the friendliness between the two, he unfolds his arms from across his chest and marches over to Kalodor's chains and yanks it hard. Feeling the pull on his neck, Kalodor retreats to his flat stone and curls in a ball with his head sticking out and staring at Delyth.

She feels an unearthly feeling in her stomach towards the large creature. The same animal that soared over her home and set it ablaze; the same creature she's wanted to kill for taking away her joy becomes something she feels empathy towards.

This puts her in an odd situation which confuses her. How is she supposed to feel towards Kalodor? Pity that maybe he's doing it in the will of a cruel master or anger because maybe he's just as bad as his owner and this may just be all an act?

14/07/22

Au revoir...

Vote | Comment | Share