Chapter 8

Elijah's POV

"What the hell am I hearing? You want to call that doctor to ask questions. She didn't even get discharged from the hospital."

"Calm down, don't forget who you are talking to?" The chief said.

"I am sorry, sir. But I will not let her come here. She already suffered enough." I told him.

"You are not her guardian or anything. You are a police officer; you have a responsibility towards people and the law."

"And she is one of them. I don't have to be related to her to protect her. You are being cruel to her." I roared at him.

"You are crossing the line here officer. I am trying to understand your actions, but right now everyone's eyes are on this case. I got orders from seniors to solve the case soon. So, I can not take her condition into consideration. She is not physically injured or directly affected by the incident. She is a doctor. She can't be that weak minded." He wanted to say something else but intervened.

"So, if she is not physically injured, she is fine enough to talk about that horrifying night, and when we are going to ask her if she knew that her roommate was involved in a sex racket. She is a doctor; you think she would not do anything about it if she had known about any of it."

"Elijah, now you are saying that the lead the team was hoping for is not correct. People from your team are working their asses off just to solve this case, please at least think of them." I went quiet. He is right after all. She is the only suspect we have right now. We can not let it go at any cost. Only she can lead us to any conclusion.

I sighed and left. But before exiting the room the chief said, "You will not come into direct contact with the doctor."

"Now what the f*ck is that?"

"Why do I need to tell you again and again that you are talking to your senior?" He said. He didn't sound offended but amused. He knew very well how much I hate it when they bring their ranks in between an argument.

"Don't avoid the topic. Why can't I talk to her?"

"Why do you want to talk to her? You never took a personal interest in any of the other witnesses or anyone related to any case. Then why her?"

"I don't know myself." I whispered.

"You don't know or you don't want to know?" I didn't say anything and left his office. I went to the meeting room and asked my team to come there. Han was out for field work so other than him everyone was there. Kareem looked like a zombie. He was yawning when he entered the room. Gabriella smacked him to wake him up. He pushed away. They were behaving like kids. It calmed my heart a little.

"Gabriella, you will go and summon Dr. Jane. We have to question her as she is the only witness we have yet." I told her and then looked at Kareem. "You will question her. But keep in mind, she might not know anything so don't pressure her too much."

"How could she not know anything? She was living with the victim. We will get the truth out of her anyhow." Kareem boasted. I marched towards him and looked him in the eyes.

"You will do no such thing. If she said she doesn't know then you won't force her. Do you get that?" I said loud and slow to make him understand the seriousness of this matter. He visually gulped and nodded. 

Gabriella left immediately and Kareem went to get some papers regarding the questions to be asked her. I stood in the middle of the room. Nothing was going on in my mind, nothing at all. My mind was telling me that I don't need to worry about her, that she will handle it but my heart was yelling at me for letting her go through this, for forcing her to relive that moment of terror.