Chapter 7

Jane's POV

"Jane, I know it's hard for you to forget about what happened. And we are not going to tell you to do that. But as a doctor, you know that you need a doctor. I know, believe me I do. When my wife died, I thought that I can forget about my pain with the work and you know what happened? I made the same mistake as you did today, but fortunately, I was just assisting at that time. So, what my senior told me at that time, I am telling you the same. 'Never ignore your symptoms. You know best what you are feeling and what you need to do to cure it.' You are smart enough to make a wise decision, Jane." He then told me to stay in my office and treat patients there only. I agreed, I didn't want to stay away from ER but who am I to disobey the CMO. And I did know that I am not strong enough to deal with it right now.

I was attending to a patient when a nurse came in and told me that a detective was looking for me. I know it should not but my heart started to beat fast. Like I was anticipating this moment. I told her to send them in after I attend to this patient. She nodded and left. For another ten minutes, I freed the patient and waited for him to come. I was looking at the last patient data when I heard the gate open.

"Hello, Miss Smith. Right?" I saw a woman enter my office. I thought I have seen her somewhere.

"Yes. How can I help you?" 

"I am Gabriella. I am a detective. I work in Cpt. Stien's team." She introduced herself. I don't know why she is here. And telling me about Elijah.

"I am here to take you to the station for some investigation if it is not inconvenient." She said. I was confused. Why do they want me there? And why he I not the one to come here? It's not like he has some responsibility towards me but still, I would have preferred it if it was him. I think I trust him.

"Let me clear my schedule first. Then we can go." I told her and called the reception to give my appointments to Dr. Omar. Then I called Omar to inform him. I was ready to leave. CMO already told me to rest so he won't mind me leaving first. In half an hour we both left in her car. 

I was nervous. I had no idea why I was called there. She didn't tell me no matter how many times I asked her to. She said that she is not allowed to and that Cpt will tell me. I sat the remaining ride quietly.

She was taking me to a room but before that I saw Elijah, he was talking to someone in the hallway. Our eyes met but he kept on talking to the person in front of him and averted his eyes. Something is not right. He is not the type to avert an issue. I couldn't assess the situation anymore. I started to panic for an unknown reason. 

Am I in some kind of trouble? But I didn't do anything illegal in my life. Are they taking me in? Are they going to blame me for Jenna's murder?

My mind was going wild. All the negative thoughts were coming to my mind. I think Gabriella saw the change in my expression, she immediately came by my side. 

"Doctor, are you alright? Don't worry, we are just going to ask you some questions regarding the case. It's a normal procedure so please relax." She assured me. I took another look at him. He was looking at me worried. I could tell he wanted to reach out to me but didn't know why he stopped himself from doing so.

Then Gabriella took me into a room. It was nothing like they show investigating rooms in the movies. It was an average office-sized room with a table in the centre and chairs around it. It looked like an office because it had some files on the table. Gabriella told me to wait in there. I sat there quietly but my heart started to pace faster with every passing second.

"Hi. Doctor Smith, right?" Entered a man. He looked younger than me. I am getting tired of telling people my identity.

"Yes, I am."

"You are the roommate of Miss Jenna?" He asked again. I stayed calm after hearing her name out loud.

"Yes."

"How long did you know her?"

"We met through a common friend and I was new here. I needed a place and her apartment was close to my workplace so I asked her and she agreed. She said that it was a bit out of her budget so she will be happy to share the bills." I told him truthfully. Before he could ask another question Gabriella entered.

"Cpt. will not be attending the questioning. He was called in the meeting room." Gabriella informed the man.

"Okay, I already proceeded with the investigation." He replied. They were talking like I was not even present there.

"Can you at least tell me why I am here?" I asked again.

"Did you know that your roommate was running a racket?" I could not understand what he was trying to say. So, he cleared himself.

"We got the clues that Miss Jenna was involved in a sex racket and she might be one of the suppliers also." His every word was drumming into my head. I just sat there looking at him in disbelief. I was waiting for him to tell me that it was a joke, which was not at all funny. I didn't utter a word. I could not. What would I have said, that you are talking about a teacher, who teaches students to become a good person in life, a daughter who has the responsibility of her parents and a friend who always guided me in difficult times? 

I looked down thinking of how to answer that. But that made the guy angry and he banged on the table. It shook me to the core. 

"What the hell Kareem? You are scaring her. If Cpt..." I could not hear the rest because my heartbeat was so loud that it was blasting through my ears.  My body started shivering.

"Doc... Doctor..." I heard distant voices.

I had a fight with her. She was just telling me to eat before I left. 

I knew...I saw it, she was feeling distressed for a few days.

She got a call the previous day. 

I didn't do anything to help. I didn't ask her if she was in some kind of trouble.

It was my fault. It is my fault. Only my fault that she died.

My mind, breath,and heartbeat stopped. A sharp pain hit my heart. I started hyperventilating. I saw black fog start covering my vision. I wanted to ask for help but nothing came out of my mouth. 

I looked around. I was again in that same room. In my apartment. I looked down but Jenna was not there. I was very scared. I don't know why but I felt that someone was coming for me. Suddenly the gate opened with a loud bang. A dark figure came in. I ran to save myself but could not get away. I saw a knife in its hand. He charged over me. In the next moment, I fell to the ground and that figure came above me and stabbed me. It tore my skin. I could feel every bit of pain. I could feel the blood running down my torso, my neck and arms. It didn't stab. He kept on stabbing me.

"Jane.... Please come back."

*******************

Hello, I hope you are as curious as I am about what will happen next. Well, you will find out soon. Till then sayonara.