Chapter 3

Elijah's POV

The little girl was given photodynamic therapy to reduce pneumonia in ICU. I saw how blue she looked. I was never this scared in my life. When I held her in my arms, she felt so fragile. I was scared that I reached her too late. I was just hoping that this doctor is as capable as she says.

She looked worked up when she saw the kid at first. I could tell that she thought for a moment that she had lost her but she immediately started working on her. She seemed like she knew what she was doing. Everyone was listening to her command. It was fascinating to see her in her zone.

It was midnight when she was shifted into the normal ward. I contacted the station to update them and asked them to stay back, to which they agreed as the parents of the child are not allowed to enter as she still needs to be kept under observation.

She personally was taking care of the girl. She checked the IV and her vitals several times when I just stood outside of the room and watched them. She pulled the chair near the child's bed and sat there quietly. I looked for a few more moments and then went outside to look for her parents.

"Officer, why are they not letting us in?" Asked the mom.

"They said she is out of danger then why are they not letting us see her?" Asked the dad.

"I just saw her, she seems fine. The doctor is looking after her. They must have said it for some reason. They know better. We should let them do their work. I will be with her also. So don't worry and wait till morning. Okay?" I assured them and walked to the vending machine in search of something to drink.

I came back after some time and looked inside the room. She was still sitting beside her and caressing her hand softly.

She cares. She didn't treat her as just a patient but as a hurt child.

I don't know why these thoughts were coming into my head but I just seemed to notice her often today. I thought she is just some arrogant woman who thinks very highly of herself. But today when I saw her take care of that little girl and how she managed everything, I believed it too.

The fatigue of the whole day started to hit me. My eyes were getting heavy and my body was getting numb. So, I stood up to take a stroll but before that decided to check up on the kid. I looked inside and saw that Jane was about to fall from her chair. I ran inside to stop her from falling. I knelt down in front of her and held her softly in my arms. Her face fell on my shoulder. Then I supported her upper body with my hands and stood up. She stair in the process but didn't wake up. I pulled the other chair with my leg and sat beside her. I put her head on my shoulder and let her rest a little.

She has been on her toes since the moment I brought the kid here. She must be exhausted so much that she didn't wake up, even though she was about to fall.

I sat there quietly looking at the two girls sleeping soundly around me.

Why is it such a big deal? Because I am not someone you can get comfortable with. People usually are scared of me. But seeing how these two are not bothered by presence is somehow pleasing.

It was early morning when she started to stair up. I took a small nap myself in between. She was yawning when she noticed my presence. She started hiccupping in shock. I stood up and told her to look up. She obediently followed me. I slowly rubbed her back to soothe her hiccups. She is a disaster, that's for sure. She thanked me and looked at the kid, who was still sleeping.

"How is she now?" I asked her.

"Her vitals are okay. I will look for the tests we ran yesterday only then we can allow her parents to meet her." She said while checking upon the girl. She then looked at me questioningly. "Why are you in here by the way?" She asked.