16

LORENZO

I park the car in front of a building and take a look around the area. Its definitely one of the worst places in the city to live. I'm surprised there are a few buildings here at all including the one she gave the address to.

There are wild and unkept bushes growing near the sides of the buildings and street lamps that look like they haven't worked in years along the sidewalks of the street. Small houses lined up some of which look abandoned and thee others too worn out and in barely appropriate condition to be living in.

There is a woman and two children holding her hand who are walking down the street. The children stop and gawk at my car and tug their mothers' or I suppose who is their mothers' hand and point towards the car. I smile as I see their faces light up in excitement. They can't see anything inside the car but I can see them clearly.

The woman looks surprised to see the car and then I see the fear settle in her eyes. It must be unusual for them to see such luxuries in a place like this. And I suppose the woman knows better and has perhaps learned from experience not to get herself trapped in dangerous situations and that's why she rushes away with her kids and away from my sight.

I lean back in the seat and drum my fingers on the steering wheel lightly as Kaden grows restless in the seat next to mine.

"I still don't understand what are we doing here so early. Weren't we supposed to be here in the afternoon?" he questions, clearly agitated that his precious sleep has been ruined. To be honest it was his fault. I was going alone myself but he insisted to join me.

"Yes we are" I agree. We were supposed to meet her team here in the afternoon but I don't trust her and I don't like to venture somewhere I'm clearly not familiar with without having information beforehand.

So that's what brings me here at five in the morning. I'll agree it is a bit early but that's what I wanted. To be alone and observe what I can.

I open the car door "You can go back if you wish. Take the car" I tell him and step outside. He mumbles something about his sleep being ruined and my lips tug at the corner. I might have purposely talked about it in front of him because I knew he would want to tag along. I do enjoy making him miserable but its fun.

He'll go back to sleep once he gets back. Its only fair since once he woke me up by pouring ice cold water on my face on a winter morning. That ended with him having a nearly broken nose and a cut on my lip.

He's like a big brother who is caring and protects you but also like an irritating younger sibling who make your life a living hell.

I walk around the trees and bushes and then hear the low rumbling of the car and then it fading away. There is a small gust of wind flowing and the soft rustle of leaves.

Even though she had explained how living in this area doesn't bother is and is more of a help rather than an inconvenience I can't say I agree with her.

The fact that she lives here doesn't settle well with me at all. I shouldn't care but I do. It's not safe to live in a place like this and I want nothing more than to take her away from here but I bury those thoughts inside my head. It's not good for me to start thinking like this about her.

Not again. Not after everything. I know it will ruin me, if there is anything more of me left inside that can be ruined at all.

As if my thoughts summoned her I see a figure step out of a small house. Its not the one she gave the address to and it doesn't look like anyone's living there. I hide behind a wall and away from her sight and see her walk away and head towards the other street.