05

I was wrong

My sanity is hanging on by a thread and my hand is itching to take out my knife and jab it in the person's throat who has arranged this horrendous excuse of a party. I had a couple things in mind when I saw that handsome stranger but after he disappeared the only thing keeping me company is the champagne glass. 

Also I am not sure if it their fault or my fault because I am standing in the far end of the room where probably no one is looking at. But I can't even socialise with anyone because I am just here to talk to people when he is with me so that he can take pride in knowing I am his daughter because of my own accomplishments.

Well it-

I see someone walking towards me in my peripheral vision but keep my eyes straight in the front. "You know I do understand why you have been standing here for this long. Its quite peaceful here and safe compared to where the sharks are ready to get you" he tips his chin towards the party, his english accent evident in his voice and I see a group of women look at him and giggle together. 

I roll my eyes and finally look at him. His slight wavy black hair frames his face and he his face slips into a grin when he notices he has my full attention. His white shirt under the black suit stretches across his chest and he has a tie on. His green eyes stand out from behind his mask and he holds out his hand "Kaden Lawson" he introduces himself and I shake his hand as I recall his name from my memory.

"Mr. Lawson, I have heard much about you" I smile at him because I know he shares the same passion for knifes as I do. A highly known assassin who works closely with the Italian mafia and has his own business of drug dealing which is one of the biggest and reliable in the underworld. He cocks his head to the side a bit "All good things I hope Ms..?" 

"Devera. Noelia Devera" an involuntary smirk tugs at my lips as I watch the realisation dawn on his face. Oh he knows about me alright but he does not seem deterred by it a bit. Instead his grin only grows bigger "Well the queen herself. You have people under quite a scare these days" his voice does not give away any signs of hesitation or fear that may be trying to mask.

"They ought to be scared" I mutter and he huffs a laugh

"Didn't know you'd be gracing us peasants with your presence" his voice is laced with sarcasm but he also shows his surprise as his one eyebrow is raised in question. Yeah me neither, believe me. "I wasn't enthusiastic by the idea" I thought he might be uninterested due to my lack of full answers but he doesn't seem to mind it. 

"Well I am glad you are here. But this is your first appearance, I would suggest mixing up a bit more rather than sulking in a corner to make your presence known" he gestures towards the others and I almost deny but he offers his arm to me "I'll be your guide" his soft and open smile makes me accept his offer and I loop my arm through his.

I have no idea why I am accepting his offer to socialise but I think it is better than standing alone somehow. After talking to a few people which mainly contained of him talking and people looking at me with fear he looks at me and extends his hand out to me. Being five feet and eight inches myself and wearing heals with it we are almost the same height. 

I look down confused and he explains "Will you dance with me? I have helped you out tonight, its only fair I get something in return too" he shrugs and I shake my head at him, amused by his tactics and accept the dance.

We reach the dance floor and he sweeps me in his arms and we sway along with the music. His eyes are lit up in joy and it makes me happy too. His smile is almost infectious and I find myself having a good time until he speaks "Well time to change partners" he gives me a wink and the beat changes as I find myself with another man.