04

After we had left the mansion, my father and I had taken separate cars. He likes to travel alone apparently and I do not care because I would rather be anywhere rather than in near presence of him. Parties like these usually are held in some large banquet hall or some fancy hotel but I am  surprised when I see the car stop in front of the dock area. 

There is only one yacht here which made it quite evident where we have to head to. The lavishness of it is not new to me. Living in a high status society since birth I am used to the glowing lights and expensive things. Though the huge yacht did look like something out of a movie, I try to ignore it and focus on the people dressed in suits and dresses who are heading towards the party. 

There is no media here whatsoever. Maybe that is why they arranged it at such a place and probably kept it strictly between the people who have to come here today. My father gets out of his car and we walk forward. "Don't mess up anything" he says low enough for only me to hear. I know he does not need a reply from me and that it was just  warning but I know better than to make a bad first impression on anyone.

Before entering there are a few people standing with plates with masks spread out on them. I search through them to find something that would match my attire. I find a black mask with a few added details of silver. There are a few fathers attached to the end of the mask but they do not look weird or ugly as most of them do but rather gives it an elegant look.

This is not just a ball but a masquerade and I think my father knew about it well before because he does not seem fazed by it an inch.

I accept the mask and tie it around my face which hides the upper half of my face. He puts on his own dark green mask and then we head towards the entrance of the ship. I know weapons are probably not allowed inside but we do not need to worry about that. At the entrance there are many bodyguards and a metal detector we have to walk through. A few people who had their revolvers or knives had to give them all to the security. 

Next my father walks through the detector and passes through it without it going off. Unlike the others I know he has his gun with him as always. We have it arranged by the tech people who are able to disable the detectors when they are told so. No doubt my father had it all arranged beforehand.

I keep a straight face but grin inwardly as I walk through the detector and not a single alarm goes off. Although I do not need to rely on weapons to fight, it never harms anyone to have them in handy. Well it does harm others but that is the whole point. 

Passing the security we go up a few stairs and reach the lowest level of the ship. It is a massive yacht and a few people go on to the higher platforms while the other head inside to the ballroom. I trail behind my father as he walks to the ballroom, taking in every detail and observing people for any kind of danger. It is a bit difficult to spot out people by their faces because of the masks but I keep my eyes trained and ears open for anything. 

The flight down the stairs opens into a grand hall. It is more of an auditorium which is exactly why they must have decided to hold the party on this level. 

Chandeliers hang from the high ceiling and light from them fall in different patters all around the room. Instead of walls there are three huge glass windows from the bottom to the ceiling, giving a stunning view of the water. The moonlight mixed with a blue hue weaves in from the full length glass windows from all the sides of the hall. 

A waiter carries drinks and I take a glass of wine. My father walks through the crowd and I m forced to follow him. "Ah Marco, my friend" my head turns to the familiar voice and find person who had called my father's name to get his attention. I force a smile on my face on the sight of his ugly yellow teeth visible through his horrendous smile. His white suit with the yellow square pocket does indeed make him stand out. 

Well maybe he took a bit of inspiration from his teeth.

They both hug and my father pats his back "Long time Jake" and his eyes flicker to mine. "Well would you look at that. The younger one finally stepping up to make an appearance eh?" his toothy grin and the wink followed by it does not subside my urge to walk away from here but I give a tight smile nonetheless. 

I just have to survive a few hours of this torture I keep reminding  myself.

My father parts away from me as he goes to meet someone important, whose name he wouldn't tell me, in private. I go to the corner of the room, near the curtains and keep an eye on everyone.  

You can learn so much about people just by observing them. People spill their heart in everything they do, you just need to open your eyes and mind enough to notice it. There is so much to be heard and seen if you just observe. Yes words are important, but it is not the only way people communicate. 

The band on the other corner of the room plays a soft melody which floats through the room and I catch a few people on the dancing floor swaying slowly to the song, some with a loving gaze on their face and some with their head on their partner's shoulder.

Do they really love each other or just hide the truth of who they are and love the false mask of the person they think they love ? 

Can someone really love someone as fucked up as we are, as I am ? Can someone really overlook the mask of hatred and ignorance and dive deep into the reality of everything that is shattered beyond that mask ? Does someone really have the courage to see the truth and stay there rather than running away ? 

The price of finding out is too big and I do not want to pay that cost only to get it all wrong in the end. Its much safer to stay behind that mask, no matter how lonely it is in here. 

I feel my skin burning with attention and am suddenly aware of someone's eyes on me. I search through the crowd and my eyes land on the bar. More specifically on the person who is leaning back against the bar top with his elbows on both sides and his feet crossed at his ankles in front of him. In one hand he lazily swirls his drink in the glass and brings it to his lips while still maintaining the eye contact. 

His black suit fits well around his biceps and the top two buttons of his black shirt are undone through which his tattoo peek out. His mask hides the most of his face but I watch as his Adam's apple bobs up and down as he swallows the drink. His eyes leave my face and go down my body as he takes his sweet time in taking in every inch of me before directing his gaze back to my eyes and gives a small smirk. 

He keeps the glass down on the counter and straightens up but before he could take another step in my direction someone interrupts him and he engages in a conversation with the stranger while I take in his profile. Standing to his full height now I can see he is a one or two inches taller than six feet and his sharp jawline accents his face structure. The black curls falling on his forehead annoy him as he rakes his hand through his hair and try to keep them away from his eyes. 

He looks back at me for a moment and licks his lips and when his eyes meet mine I give him a wink and watch as his shoulders shake a bit with silent laughter and he shakes his head and leaves with the same person who he was talking to somewhere around the hall. 

Maybe this party wouldn't be so boring after all

Hello everyone

Do you think he is the one ? Well it should be, I didn't give in details just for it to be a stranger 

I know I updated after almost two weeks and I am sorry but my exams are going on currently which is making it really difficult for me to complete the chapters.

I also have an exam tomorrow and believe me I don't know what I'll write there cuz I know nothing. Nada.

But I hope you all are doing good. You can text me or comment if you ever need to talk about anything <3

Guys please share my book if you like it and drop a vote for this chapter

I love you