03

Her dress for the ball ^^ 

_________________________________________

Silence

 A simple word which tells you that there is no noise or sound in the surroundings near you. On a lazy summer day when you lie under the shade of the tree and silence fills the air, it lulls you to sleep. When you are sitting in an exam hall, the silence in the room helps you concentrate. The moment when a person ends their performance and the short second of calm that follows before everyone bursts into applause. When you see someone close to death, and their last breath gives out, the silence that stretches after that drives you to tears.

You don't hear anything but words are spoken and emotions flow. Its is beautiful thing but what I hear is anything but. Silence is all I hear when I pass through the halls of this huge mansion. For someone who is coming here the first time, it may be calm and they would feel a sense of peace fall over them.

But what I hear are the silent cries, the pleas and the screaming. It's not calm, it's eerie. My footsteps halt when I reach the familiar set wooden doors. The intricate floral pattern engraved into the thick frame highlight the door and make them stand to from the rest of the door in the mansion.

I open the doors to reveal the bed room. The white tiles shine under the golden light spilling from the lamps hanging on the wall and giving the room an elegant look. I find two maids rushing around the room, preparing things for the ball.

One of them notices me and immediately bows her head. Their chatter dies down as the other maid realises my presence and follows her lead. I step in and lock my door behind me and they all look up.

"We are here to get you ready for the ball ma'am" the one whom I know speaks first. She is the head maid of this place and has been here as long as I remember. She has always been the incharge to get me ready whenever it is required. Although she is nearly in her fifties she sure as hell doesn't look like it. 

"Who is she ?" i jerk my head towards the second girl who is standing behind. The girl looks in her teens and has a small frame. Her hands are slightly shaking, showing that she is either intimidated or scared. Or maybe both.

"She is new here" the old woman explains. The girl gives a small nod. New recruits are trained under her supervision until they know how to work here.

"Tell her how it works here. She won't last two days if she lets people scare her away" I advise her. You have to portray a tough exterior if you want to survive in this world. I don't want her to be scared and run away on her first day but she needs to know how risky it is if she is working in this house. Men could easily corner her and take advantage of her and she needs to fight back to avoid that.

Let's get this over with. I don't want this night to be too long, just enough for me to endure and call it another day. Understanding my impatience the girl rushes to the other room to get the dress they had probably already selected for me. I sit down on the bed and lean back on my hands and she returns with a dress- no, not a dress but a fucking gown. 

I scowl at the thing as she show it to me for my approval. It looked like it weighed more than the person holding it. No way I am wearing something that would only slow me down in some emergency. "I am not wearing a gown" I move my gaze to the older woman and raise an eyebrow at her. She knows I need easy access to my weapons and fast movements, she wouldn't choose anything like this willingly. 

"Its a ball" she said as if that was supposed to change my mind about wearing a corset and a gown to the first party I attend after years. And as if that wasn't bad enough, the gown was a shade of light blue. No one in their right mind could convince me to wear this. Although the gown was beautiful, I couldn't bear the thought of wearing it and trying to look like someone I am not.

I get up from the bed and stalk towards the small girl holding up the dress. I touch the frill of the gown that flowed from the waistline to the the bottom. "What do you think ?" I direct my question towards her and she looks at me, surprised that I am asking for her opinion. She hesitates and her eyes flicker to the gown. "I think it's beautiful. You will definitely look gorgeous in it ma'am" she keeps her eyes down as she speaks.

I hum at her answer. It is something that would suit her more than me and I saw the look of admiration in her eyes as she looked at the dress. I walk back from her and then head towards my closet in the other room "You can keep it" I announce and don't look back to gauge their reactions as I enter the other room and walk towards the cupboard that will help me find the kind of dress I need. 

I scan the various clothes hanging and settle for a black sleeveless dress which shows generous amount of my chest and has a slit up till my thigh on one side. I change out of my clothes and strap the garter belt around my thigh and above the slit in the dress so that is not visible to anyone else. I strap a few more knives on my other leg and a small gun and making sure none if looks evident through the the dress.

I simply wanted to feel confident in myself for this party. The dress was smooth against and clung to my body like a second skin. It made my curves stand out and I loved how it complimented my warm complexion. I choose a black pair of heels, not too high but enough to easily run it and to stab it with. 

Now I am not planning on killing someone but there can be assassination attempts tonight because of all the important people present in the same place. I need to be able to make it out safe and alive if things go downhill. Making sure I am equipped with sufficient weapons I go back to the bedroom and let them do my makeup and my hair. 

 While they did their work I couldn't help but think about what will happen tonight. I wouldn't lie, I am curious to see how this evening goes but something in my told me that it wasn't going to be as easy as I was hoping it would be. 

When they both were done I finally look in the mirror and am impressed at how I look. My hair was in a low bun with a few small strands escaping in the front. It looked perfect and though it looked like a loose bun, my hair was securely wrapped up and pinned. The deep red lipstick with the black eyeshadow and hint of silver on the eyelids made me look, bold and somehow sexy. 

Lastly I put on a thin diamond necklace and a few rings. Analysing my look in the mirror I nod in approval and thank them for their help. They leave after that and I grab my phone and my purse. I had texted Esme earlier that I will be back later tonight or probably tomorrow and asked her to keep the place under security system and not shut it down

Now I just have to go through this ball and hopefully life will be back to normal, at least as normal as I can have it.

I don't know if everyone likes the dress, but I thought it looked really good and definitely suited my girl here.

I feel like this chapter is kind of short and I am sorry if it is so. 

I did not want the party to start from the same chapter. It's just better to start that from a new chapter in my opinion.

How are you liking my story so far ? 

I know you all may want to meet our other character and don't worry about it, you have it coming soon. 

I just wanted you'll to have a kind of peek in her life and know what she is like.

Please vote and leave comments if you liked this chapter and please share it with others if you like my story 

I love you <3