That's My Best Friend (twenty)

"How do I look", Steve asked, frantically feeling his hair and adjusting it to what he imagined looked good, and you shook your head disapprovingly.

"Steve, relax. Your hair's gigantic alrea-", you hesitated to continue your sentence, and Steve's eyes widened, worried. You chuckled nervously and re-worded your sentence before trying again.

"Your hair's fine, don't touch it any further. Just go up and get your diploma", you lied and shooed Steve away. And conveniently enough, Steve was then called up to the stage and the principal, before he could realize that his hair was a monstrosity.

"Steve Harrington", your school principal's voice resonated on the green football field, and you pushed a nervous Steve away from his seat, smiling proudly at him like an idiot.

"Go, Steve", you shouted happily, and the other graduates also cheered loudly as Steve finally made his way up to the stage where he was handed his diploma at once. 

It was graduation day. And not just any graduation day - it was your graduation day. The day that couldn't have come any slower, but also not any faster either. It was almost surreal.

Steve had totally blown his shot at getting any scholarship in high school, which meant he probably wasn't going to college, which was kind of ironic judging by your parents' work success. 

But Steve had still gotten his diploma, which was a win in itself. At least, asking you.

Steve bowed flamboyantly to the crowd before sending you a hand signal that you were up next and returning to your row of seats. 

You took a deep breath and braced yourself, and Steve just barely sat down before you were called up.

"Y/n Harrington", the principal called in the mic, and you quickly stood up and pushed your way through the row. 

On the way, you were applauded and greeted with whistling, and confidence overflowed you, as you skipped up on the stage.

"Congratulations", the principal said warmly and handed you the diploma you had fought for. Steve wasn't the only Harrington kid that probably wasn't getting their college bill footed by their parents. You were never an academic genius either, and being a troublemaker hadn't helped your case much. 

Frankly, you had never dreaded receiving your diploma - only showing it to your dad.

You nodded thankfully to the principal, and when you went behind him to go down the other side of the stage, you firmly turned around and put your finger and thumb up in a shape of an L.

He had never liked you a whole lot because you were a troublemaker, and the sweetness he was portraying now was pure fake and probably a product of relief that he no longer had to see you as well. The feeling of dislike was mutual, though, because he had gotten you into trouble a few times. So now that you had your diploma, no one could stop you from mocking him just a little. 

The entirety of the crowd burst out in laughter, and you quickly ran down the stairs and back to your seat before the principal could discover what happened.

You chuckled satisfied and plumped down on your seat, where you were met by Steve's disappointed gaze.

"What", you laughed, damn well knowing what, and Steve raised his eyebrow, unamused.

"Good thing mom and dad aren't here", Steve remarked dryly, and you scoffed in disbelief. You turned your body facing Steve and smiled, offended.

"You are such a stuck up"!