Dear Daddy Neil (sixteen)

It was evening when you finally made the decision to pay Billy a visit. You couldn't stand not knowing why he had called anymore, and you just got more and more anxious with each passing minute.

When Billy had called he had made it clear right away that he needed to talk. But you had been too distracted to understand it properly. So it was only when you tried calling him back again you realized that it was serious.

Billy hadn't answered your call. In fact, no one in his household had. And had it not been for Billy's words when he called, then you wouldn't have worried so much.

But you did.

Billy hadn't wanted to chit-chat. He had needed to talk.

You hastily pulled on a big black sweater and Billy's jacket before you practically ran to the front door. 

"Woah, what are you in such a hurry for", Steve exclaimed surprised from the living room. He was sitting lazily in your coach, watching tv. 

You didn't answer and just shut the door after you before running to your bike. You were still mad at Steve and really did not have time or energy for his nosy curiosity.

After the episode with your parents where Steve made them try to control your friendship with Billy, you and Steve hadn't talked a lot because you had never made up properly - not even after your parents left for work again. Steve hadn't tried to apologize once, and it made it difficult for you to forgive him.

Quickly you unlocked your bike and pedaled as fast as you could to Billy's house.

It was pitch black outside even though it was only 8 o'clock, and it took some time before you could see where you were going properly. 

Winter was just around the corner, which meant that the sun went down too early and that it was freezing outside at all times.

Thankfully, this also meant that the streets were practically empty and that it didn't take long before you reached the grey house.

You hopped off your bike and parked it against the Hargrove house's wooden façade. Yellow light was shining through the windows, which meant someone definitely was home.

You sank some nervous spit before knocking strongly on the front door. 

You would finally figure out what Billy's call had been about, and if it was actually as serious as you believed.

From the other side of the door you could hear footsteps approach, and soon after the door opened, and overwhelming warmth from inside hit your cold body along with the smell of dinner. It smelt like cheap alcohol and chicken potpie. 

Billy was the one who had opened the door, and when you saw him, everything fell into place.

Billy was dressed just as stylishly as usual, but his face was severely beaten up, which made it difficult to recognize him.

You gasped as you finally pieced everything together, and your heart broke.

Billy's bruises now and then without any signs of having fought back ever. The violent shouting you had heard from his house the day Steve had told you about his and Nancy's breakup. Billy never talking much about his family. Billy's call earlier. And his mother leaving him and his dad. 

Billy's father was abusive to Billy.

Billy looked at you in distress, and shame spilled over his face. He knew very well that you had figured everything out now.