Let's Make A Bet (eleven)

You knocked on the front door frantically and struggled to hold your tears back while you waited for someone to open it.

Billy's house wasn't awfully far from yours, and thanks to earlier, the way to it was still fresh in your memory.

The door was opened by a kind-looking, tall, red-haired woman in her forties, and you took a step back, confused. You had never met her before. The woman looked at you just as confused.

"Uh, my name is y/n Harrington. Is Billy home", you introduced yourself politely and sniffled.

"Oh hi. I'm Susan", she replied and held out her hand to greet you. She smiled sweetly at you, and you shook her warm hand.

Susan was much calmer than Billy, but she wasn't his biological mother, so it did make sense that they had no resemblance. She, however, was uncannily similar to Max, thanks to0 the fiery hair.

"Billy's in his room. Wanna come inside", Susan said and invited you in. You nodded silently and quietly stepped inside.

Billy's house was big and cozy. The walls were beige, and like, the interior.

One of the bedroom doors opened, and a girl's head popped out, looking curiously at the sudden visitor. It was Max. You gave her a crooked smile, and she returned it before shutting her door again.

Susan put her hand on your shoulder and gave you a light squeeze. You looked up into her eyes, and she blinked them, giving you another smile. She was a kind woman.

"Just down the hallway, darling", she said and pointed to a door further down the house, and you thanked her before walking down to it.

Faint music could be heard from Billy's door and you knocked. The door flung open to reveal an annoyed Billy. He was expecting someone else.

"What-", he snarled, but his expression quickly softened by the sight of you, and his eyes filled with worry.

"Y/n"?

Tears began falling from your eyes, and the corners of your mouth turned down in an attempt not to break down then and there. Billy quickly pulled you inside his room and closed the door.

He turned to you and cupped your face.

"Hey, hey, hey. What's wrong", Billy asked worriedly, and you hugged him tightly.

"My parents. They're home", you sniffled into his shirt, and Billy's warm arms comforted you. He smelled like Estée Lauder perfume, and you felt yourself calming down a little.

"Hey, but isn't that great? Why are you crying"? Billy's voice was filled with confusion, and you groaned, annoyed.

"No, it isn't", you hissed, but quickly felt ashamed of your rude behavior. Billy took no offense to it, thankfully, and he sat you down on his bed. You looked him in his blue eyes and smiled slightly.

"See? I told you my family life situation ain't so good either", you chuckled sadly, and Billy's fingers intertwined with yours.

"Tell me about it", Billy said softly and gently put your head on his shoulder.

You had never experienced Billy this sweet before. Sure, you knew he wasn't as bad as everyone made him out to be, and you were very well aware of his softer side. But this was new. It was comforting and loving.

"Steve and I, we've always been alone a lot", you started and told Billy your story, and Billy comforted you through the whole thing.

Ever since you and Steve had been small, your parents had been busy with work. It hadn't been that bad when you were tiny though, and one of your parents had always stayed behind with you when the other had gone traveling for work. But as you had gotten older and enrolled in elementary school, they had begun to travel together, leaving the house lonely and without love.

They had started to hire nannies to look after you, but being so young without your parents left its marks on both you and Steve. You were forced to grow up much quicker than your peers and learned to manage by yourselves too early on in life. This was what eventually made you grow to hate your parents.

When your parents were home, it was an absolute joy, because they filled the void they had created themself. But they were never home for long, always gone for longer. And eventually, your house hadn't been "home" anymore.

Growing up and becoming teenagers, you and Steve had managed differently. Love and approval were something you didn't get from your parents, so you each sought different sources.

Steve had filled the void by gaining popularity and hanging out with Tommy. And eventually by starting a relationship with the charming Nancy Wheeler.

Meanwhile, you had filled the void with endless approval from dumb boys. Because if they loved you, you felt less lonely. And you felt worthy of love.

Your method was definitely the worst one, and it didn't work very well either. So it was only really when you and Steve also hung out that it wasn't so painful without your parents. This was also part of the reason why it had been so difficult for you when Steve had been sad about Nancy leaving him.

If you were completely honest, you didn't hate your parents only. You both loved and hated them. But they never really were parents, and it had ruined so much in you.

"Thank you for telling me", Billy whispered and tucked a hair behind your ear. Your face was warm and salty from crying so much, and your head was throbbing with a headache.

Billy gave you a gentle smile, and you returned it.

"Thank you for letting me", you replied, and Billy squeezed your nose.

"Are you dumb? Of course I'd let you tell me, I'm not that heartless", he snorted and furrowed his eyebrows, teasingly, and you let out a light chuckle which ended up sounding ridiculous because of the lack of air through your nose. He let go of your nose.

"You expect me to believe that THE bully and womanizer, Billy Hargrove, isn't heartless", you said jokingly and wiped your face from tears. It felt gross.

"Strange coming from a somewhat of a bully and maneater herself", he replied and tickled you mercilessly.

"Stop", you tried saying calmly but couldn't because you couldn't breathe properly. It tickled too much.

You tried to tickle Billy back, but instead, you both fought for dominance, eventually falling down the bed together.

You were both laughing loudly, and you turned around to lay on your belly and look at Billy properly.

"What", he asked and smiled in confusion. You smiled, feeling better.

"Okay, so we're both awful. Wanna be even worse", you asked Billy and his smile instantly became playful.

"How so", he asked with curiosity.

"Let's make a bet. We'll compete about who's the biggest player, and by the end of the year, the winner will get the title", you grinned, and Billy shook his head.

"I can't believe you. Just before you were crying, and now you're trying to make a bet with me", he said in disbelief, and you scooched closer to him, ignoring his statement.

"You in or not"?

Billy glanced at you and laughed like you were dumb.

"Lot's of girls? Of course I'm in", he stated cockily.

And so, you and Billy began planning.